cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault - Move live shared data + placeholders to new drive

cornishtechie
Level 3

Hi all, after some advice if possible.

Due to space restrictions, I need to move all file share data from DRIVE1 to DRIVE2 on the same server. The data on DRIVE1 includes EV placeholders that I need to make sure will still retrieve archived files once migrated to DRIVE2.

I plan to robocopy data from DRIVE1 to DRIVE2 then swap the drive mappings around, keeping the current drive letter in place on the new DRIVE2, but I am unsure how to handle the EV part of the equation. 

Could I restore all current placeholder files within their current folder location to the new DRIVE2 before going live? As a test almost?

What would be the recommended way to achieve this without any possibility of EV data corruption\issues retrieving files etc...

Many thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

plaudone1
Level 6
Employee

Hi cornishtechie,

A backup and restore of the data would be best as it should not recall the files and the placeholders PH will still work. 

Robocopy will attempt to recall the data before moving it as it cannot move the PH file on its own.  To exclude archived files when using robocopy, the following syntax should be followed: robocopy /e /XA:O (should be colon O if it gets replaced by an emoji) 

Once the unarchived data is on the new drive and the drive is renamed you could run FSAUtility -c to recreate the PH files. This will recreate any files that are missing as PH files.  The syntax would be: FSAUtility -c -s \\server\share\folder

Let me know if you have questions.

Regards,

Patrick 

Thank you plaudone1 for your reply.

Our backup software ignores PH files which is frustrating else that would be my preferred method.

Running the FSAUtility -c to recreate the PH files, I assume the folder location needs to be the original share location? My reason for asking is I would like to test this method before switching the drive letters, as it would cause a lot of issues if the restore of PH did not succeed as we would expect (current folder structure etc...).

Thanks.