Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault OWA strange behavior

ggeorgi
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi to all.

I am in the middle of an Exchange migration from 2010 to 2013. I have upgraded the EV to 12.3.2 recently and everything was working as expected. After the installation and migration to Ex2013 I have noticed a strange behavior in OWA both in 2010 and 2013. What have changed, regarding OWA, is that the mail.domain.com\owa directory, hits the Ex2013 and after login, if the user is on 2010 then it redirects to 2010 OWA. If it is on 2013 then it open the 2013 OWA.

In 2010. When I try to open an archived item from OWA, it cannot open the original item and it opens the shortcut. In the event viewer I get nothing. If I click the link "Click here to open original item", I get an error in event viewer saying that it cannot open due to insufficient permissions. If I open the same mail from outlook, it opens. I haven't checked other options like manual store etc. In this situation, I have logged in the PC with the same account I have logged in the OWA

In 2013. The test mailbox that I use does not have archived items, So, I tried to manual archive some mails, through the Store button in the mailapp tab. I got a message saying "Enterprise Vault canot not archived this item". I checked the event viewer and found the following 

A user's archive request has failed.

Mailbox: /o=xxxxxxxxx/ou=Exchange Administrative Group xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/cn=Recipients/cn=test693
Folder: ￾Inbox

Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for xxxxxxx

Error: Client request refused due to insufficient privileges, user attempted to access the Vault: Vault Name: Vault Id: but did not have access (0xc0040aad)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://telemetry.community.veritas.com/entt?product=ev&language=english&version=12.3.0.0&build=12.3....

I checked the article it says about accessing an archive using another account. But this is not the case. But this made me thinking. I then opened the archive explorer and found out that the account shown in the AE windows is the account I logged in the PC and not the account I logged in OWA. It seems that the mailapp is loaded using the account I logged in the PC and not the account I logged in OWA.

Behavior in 2010 and 2013, seems to be the same, regarding the root cause. For some reason, the account that accesses the archive is different than the account I login in OWA. But this should work as, let's say, from home we do not login using an account from domain. 

Any ideas are much appreciated.

George

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi George, I assume you have followed the steps to enable EV in OWA as described in the 'Setting up and Configuring Exchange archiving'. I believe you need to configure both the 2010 and 2013 OWA, but I am not sure. It might be best to log a call at the support team, so they can advise.

As for the 'account' issue, this is 'as designed', at least for the EV client in Outlook. For OWA (and it's been a while since I configured that for a customee), following the steps allows access to archived items without issues.

Regards. Gertjan

ggeorgi
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yeap, I ve configured it following the instructions in the manual.

Thanks anyway.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi again, I don't know then. sorry.

Regards. Gertjan