cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In "requires Outlook 2003 SP2 or later" though Outlook 2013 is installed

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

I have a computer with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 (both 64-bit). Both is supported by Enterprise Vault 10.0.3.

Still, when I try to install the new Add-In, I get the error message "Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In 10.0.3.1090 requires Outlook 2003 SP2 or later". I verified that I don't have any old plugins installed and performed the cleaup steps in TECH53462, but still I can't install the new plugin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Thanks, but didn't help. The key did not exist for me, I created it accordingly (HKCR\Outlook.Application\CurVer, Default value to REG_SZ "Outlook.Application.15"). I tested with ProcMon and found that the setup program doesn't even query this key (or any similar one). 

But, thanks to this, I solved it now. I saw that the setup program was querying HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE, which did not exist. I saw that every other Office application had an entry there, but Outlook did not. So I created one similar to the others:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Outlook.exe]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MICROS~1\\Office15\\OUTLOOK.EXE"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office15"
And then, installation started. I got another error message though ("Problem starting C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVClient\x64\VaultCacheIndexer.dll" - "A DLL initialization routine failed", own translation). But it seems to work now (at least I can open archived items).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Was it an upgrade to Outlook?  Or a clean install?

There is an exact registry key that the Outlook Addin looks at to get the Outlook version ...  but I can't find it right now.

Working for cloudficient.com

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Ahh this might help:

http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2011/03/04/outlook-version-hunting/

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Thanks, but didn't help. The key did not exist for me, I created it accordingly (HKCR\Outlook.Application\CurVer, Default value to REG_SZ "Outlook.Application.15"). I tested with ProcMon and found that the setup program doesn't even query this key (or any similar one). 

But, thanks to this, I solved it now. I saw that the setup program was querying HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE, which did not exist. I saw that every other Office application had an entry there, but Outlook did not. So I created one similar to the others:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Outlook.exe]
@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MICROS~1\\Office15\\OUTLOOK.EXE"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office15"
And then, installation started. I got another error message though ("Problem starting C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVClient\x64\VaultCacheIndexer.dll" - "A DLL initialization routine failed", own translation). But it seems to work now (at least I can open archived items).

Alex_Brown
Level 5
Employee

Stephan - I'm interested to know whether this particular issue is common on your desktop builds?

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

It doesn't appear on the major part of our machines. There is a number of computers where installation failed (possibly due that reason) but it's only a small portion.

As for my machine (where I had this error), it has been upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 8 and from Outlook 2007 to 2010 to 2013. So it's not quite a typical machine.

Still, checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Outlook.exe is a really uncommon way of checking if "Outlook 2003 SP2 or newer is installed" ...

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Many moons ago it was talked about doing 'deeper' checking for Outlook version number.  The problem is what would you do?  I mean you could check the version information for Outlook.exe, for example.  But where would you find it?  Especially in a case like yours where 'some' of the Outlook registry keys don't exist to tell people where the binaries are installed.

PeterX
Not applicable

How do I fix this error?

I checked Stephan's registry hack - but I already have this key. I'm running 64-bit Outlook.

Update: I think that because I have the 32-bit Access Database Engine installed (to use the SharePoint Data View control), EV *thinks* that I have 32-bit Office and hence it can't find Outlook.