cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Outlook Plugin Hangs Outlook

Jvansym
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

I am having an issue with a few users that I can't seem to figure out. We are running EV 8.0 SP4 on Windows Server 2008 SP2 with the Outlook plug-in version 9.0.4. Our users are running Outlook 2007 SP2 as their mail client. Our users access their archives through Virtual Vault and we do not have shortcuts enabled for the mailbox. 

The problem that we are seeing is for certain users having the EV plug-in loaded causes Outlook to become almost unusable. The behavior that we are seeing is when a user clicks on any message or folder in their inbox the Outlook client will just hang, go to not responding and then crash. We originally thought this could be an issue with Outlook itself however if you disable the EV plug-in the problem disappears completely. The strange thing is when this happens the users are not interacting with their vaults, it seems to happen when they are clicking on messages in their normal inbox that the client locks up. 

I have tried several things to resolve the issue however nothing seems to have resolved the problem. Below is a list of things that i have tried that don't seem to have made any difference and i'm running out of ideas.  I'm almost at the point of just exporting the users archive to PST. deleting it, and re importing it to see if that works however i really don't want to have to do that for every user that i come across with this issue.Since the issue has even followed the user to new laptop i'm thinking there may be something wrong on the back end with their archive but not sure what to try to fix it. 

Has anyone seen this behavior before or have any ideas as to what might be the problem ?

Reset the Virtual Vault cache

Create a new Outlook profile for the user

Rebuild the index for the user 

Reinstall the EV client plug-in

Reinstall Outlook

Reinstall Windows (Deployed the user on a new laptop)

Disable all other plug-ins in the Outlook client

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
On a sample workstation try the 10.0.3 cumulative hot fix 2 client. Also what OS is the workstation? Is it the same for all that don't work?
Working for cloudficient.com

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Oh and try Outlook 2007 sp 3 .. Plus any later hot fixes.

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

A few questions:

- Do you know when the problem started?

- If yes to the above, can you correlate this with other changes made in the environment?

- Are the users facing the problem consistent?

- Is the problem for the noted users consistent or random?

I had earlier dealt with an annoying issue involving EV add-in and after a couple of months of trial-and-error methods, I was to correlate it with how we roam and import Outlook profiles in our environment.  We were erroneously importing Outlook profile (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\windows messaging subsystem) while Outlook is running, which caused Outlook memory corruption and the interesting thing is that only EV add-in misbehaved for us and all the time, we blamed EV :=/

Jvansym
Level 3

Hi Rob, 

I will have the users give that version a try and see if it helps. They are currently on 9.0.4 as i wasn't sure if i could upgrade them to the 10.x versions since we were still on EV 8. 

Each user is running Windows 7 Professional 64bit and they should be identical as our machines come from standard images. 

Jvansym
Level 3

The problem for one of the users seems to have started several months ago and the other one just a few weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the time that each user was having the problem. There also haven't been any major changes to our environment for quite awhile. These users have been EV users for about 2.5 years now and only recently started complaining about this issue. 

Now that you mention it one user did mention getting memory errors in outlook. Was there any fix for that situation with that registry key ? Can it be deleted and recreated ?

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

Now that you mention it one user did mention getting memory errors in outlook. Was there any fix for that situation with that registry key ? Can it be deleted and recreated ?

The registry key contains user's Outlook profile(s), so do not delete it, unless that is what you really want to do.  In our case, the issue isn't with the key or the data inside it, but we were importing the key from a network share while Outlook is running (a bug in our automation), which caused Outlook memory corruption.  We had to log a case with Symantec and after trying various things for a month in vain asked us to log a case with Microsoft.  Microsoft asked us to see if the issue is reproducible without any add-ins and they eventually asked us to work with Symantec :=/  At this point, it is basically a vendor blame game, and I hope you don't get dragged into that.

Good luck!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Regarding the registry key. Do you do any roaming, or importing of registry keys etc?  If not .. then I don't think that will be related to your problem.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Do you need any further help on this issue?