cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault PST Migration Retention Question

CCCIT
Level 3

My default PST Retention policy is 7years.  When I import a user's .pst file and they have emails that over 7years old...Will the messages be immediatly deleted or does the "EV clock" start at the date of injestion into the EV DB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

depends if you are doing expiry by Archived Date or Modified (Sent/Received Date)

If its by Archived Date then it will be in another 7 years time, if its Modified date then it will be 7 years after the message was sent/received

So say for instance you have the following

An email sent on 01/01/2007 and archived on 01/01/2008
If expiry is set to run based on Archived Date it would be eligible for deletion on 01/01/2011
(3 years after the archived date)

If expiry is set to run based on Modified Date it would be eligibile for deletion on 01/01/2010
(3 years after the sent date)

If you then export to a PST file, delete the archive and then reimport it today (02/17/2011)
If expiry is set to run based on Archived Date it would be elegible for deletion on 02/17/2014
(3 years after it was "archived" , in this scenario, imported from a PST File)

If expiry is set to run based on Modified Date it would be eligibile for deletion on 01/01/2010

If you use Move Archive wizard in EV8 SP4 onwards, then when it migrates the archive from one vault store to another or one vault site to another, it will keep the archived date intact along with the modified date (i.e. sent/received date)

Also most other third party utilities (such as Transvault) will keep the same archived date as well

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6

depends if you are doing expiry by Archived Date or Modified (Sent/Received Date)

If its by Archived Date then it will be in another 7 years time, if its Modified date then it will be 7 years after the message was sent/received

So say for instance you have the following

An email sent on 01/01/2007 and archived on 01/01/2008
If expiry is set to run based on Archived Date it would be eligible for deletion on 01/01/2011
(3 years after the archived date)

If you then export to a PST file, delete the archive and then reimport it today (02/17/2011)
If expiry is set to run based on Archived Date it would be elegible for deletion on 02/17/2014
(3 years after it was "archived" , in this scenario, imported from a PST File)

If you use Move Archive wizard in EV8 SP4 onwards, then when it migrates the archive from one vault store to another or one vault site to another, it will keep the archived date intact along with the modified date (i.e. sent/received date)

Also most other third party utilities (such as Transvault) will keep the same archived date as well

CCCIT
Level 3

OK..thanks for the information.  I have created a PST Retention Policy with Expiry based on the Archived date and I will apply this Retention Policy to all Imported PST files

JesusWept3
Level 6

one important information i left out (which i think you understood) but just wanted to be clear, my examples were based on a 3 year retention :)

CCCIT
Level 3

yes & thanks again