Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Placeholder service hanging server

Denda
Level 5

EV 9.0.1.1073

EV Agent 9.0.5169 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2

Everytime I start the EV placeholder service (agent) my whole server locks up and become useless.  I am unable to kill the placeholder process once it locks up so a bounce is the only way to get the server responding again.  Anyone have any ideas on this one?  This is a brand new install and I was in the process of moving placeholders to this server from another server, so I really need to get our placeholders back up and functioning again asap.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you start by installing the latest FSA Agent that comes with EV9 SP3.

If the hang still occurs, you will need to configure the server to generate crash dumps, then open a support case to have it analysed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Denda
Level 5

I reinstalled the FSA Agent and all seems OK right now however still having some difficulty recalling some archived files.  Will post more of what I find later.

Denda
Level 5

scratch that... server hung again.. ugh...

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can you start by installing the latest FSA Agent that comes with EV9 SP3.

If the hang still occurs, you will need to configure the server to generate crash dumps, then open a support case to have it analysed.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can try using the fltmc tool on the file server to check / load / unload the mini filrters which may be causing the problem.

Open a cmd prompt on the file server anf type fltmc to see the options. Then load / unload to try and isolate which may be causing the server to hang. You may also want to try using Windows process monitor or a crash debug tool.

Denda
Level 5

Hi John -

Thanks for the info.  I have downloaded the 9.0.3 EV but am unable to find the agent software.  Is it a separate download?  Thanks.

Denda
Level 5

Hi Percy - Thank you for your comments.  Unfortunately, the server does not give me enough time to run the fltmc tool.  By the time we realize the server has hung again, you basically have to bounce the system manually to get it to respond.  I have been checking out the crash debug and it points to the placeholder service...

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

If you want to have access to the FSA Agent binaries you would need to install the 9.0.3 package which will explode the folder and Agent binaries.

it might be easier to just install onto a VMWare system