Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Server migration from Single node to Windows Cluster

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Good Morning All,

I was hoping that I could get some clarification on an EV migration.  The environment is as follows:

Current Production

EV 9.0.4

Mailbox archiving cluster

Single Journal archiving server

Target Production

EV 10.0.3

Mailbox archiving cluster

Journal archiving cluster

I have done a number of migrations using the SSMW and am comfortable migrating the Mailbox archiving cluster but the concern is in regards to the Journal archiving.  I have found the following posts and just wanted some further clarification.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/enterprise-vault-migration-single-server-cluster

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/does-server-settings-migration-wizard-supports-migrat...

The second post indicates that the SSMW has some sort of Convert to Cluster wizard already built in, which I don't feel is the case.  Can the EV 9.0.4 journal archiving server be migrated to the EV 10.0.3 Journal archiving cluster (Active Node)?  Then after the migration has completed does it need to be converted to a cluster or is this handled by the SSMW?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would think you need to evict it from the cluster and follow the convert to cluster steps. 

The convert to cluster TN specifys it should not be configured in a cluster configuration.

Enterprise Vault should already be configured in a non-clustered configuration, and it must not already be part of a cluster.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling

No, SSMW does not have a built in cluster convertor.  You would migrate it as a stand alone server and then to do a convert to cluster process after the migration.

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

OK.  So if the 10.0.3 cluster has already been built, can the SSMW be imported on the Active Node of the new cluster?  Afterwards, running the Convert to Cluster wizard?  Or does the node that it is imported on need to be a standalone server?  IE, does the Active node to be evicted from the cluster before running the import package?

TonySterling

I would think you need to evict it from the cluster and follow the convert to cluster steps. 

The convert to cluster TN specifys it should not be configured in a cluster configuration.

Enterprise Vault should already be configured in a non-clustered configuration, and it must not already be part of a cluster.