cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Store Full - How to Start New Archives in New Vault Store

sriramrane
Level 4

Hi There,

We have a problem in our EV 12.x Server. We have EMC Centera Star (Object Storage) being used for VaultStore and it is already full. Below is the mesage from EV Server "A problem was encountered while trying to process a saveset in the storage queue, but it appears that the problem may be recoverable. The saveset will be requeued and another attempt will be made to process it later.". I would like to know whether we can use any other storage (HPE 3PAR and file system will be NTFS) and create a new vault store and use that vault store to commit all new archives, assuming that all users will have seamless access to old archives from old vault store which are hosted on EMC Centera. 

It would be great help, if anyone can suggest the better way to deal with such scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rane

Rane
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My VIP colleague (congrats on that one!) CConsult is right.

There is no automatic roll-over for Centera partitions, but you can manually close the Centera partition, and open the HPY partition.

Apologies if I was not clear initially.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA

Hello Rane,

A Vault Store has a Vault Store Partition. Your current partition points to Centera.

Verify how to address the new storage. will you mount a disk in an empty folder? will you address it using FQDN? verify you have access from the EV server using the VSA to the new location.

In the Vault Store, create a new partition. configure it properly. The state of that partition will be 'ready'. Once you are satisfied, change the state of that partition to Open. The Centera partition will change to Closed. EV should start writing to the open partition.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA,

Thanks for the reply and solution mentioned. There are limitations that EV cannot rollover the Centera partition toany other types of partition type. In our case we want to use the HPE 3PAR SAN with NTFS file system. In such case we can only open new VaultStore. But in this, challenge is how new archives will be written in new VaultStore (unless otherwise we migrate archived mailboxes to new VaultStore.). We want to achieve something like partition rollover, but at VaultStore to VaultStore but not within VaultStore Partitions.
Rane

GertjanA

Hello Rane,

As far as I know, the following is the case:

Vault Store has Vault Store Partiton, which is Centera. Create new Vault Store Partiton, use HPE as target. When created, you should be able to CLOSE the Centera partition, which will then automatically OPEN the HPE partition. As soon as that has happened, the Collections folder of EV (which has items for the Centera) should process to the Centera, but NEW items will go to the HPE location. I had a mix of partitions on 1 store, without issues.

The archive doesn't care where the items are. If EV archives, pointers will be made in SQL and the indexes to where the actual item is. If opening an item, and it is on Centera, EV gets it from Centera, if it is on NTFS, EV gets it from NTFS. The partitions are 'transparant' to the archives, not causing issues in regards to split archives

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan,

Thanks again for your reply. I was confused with this Veritas article, where it mentions Centera partitions cannot be rolled over. Is this still valid or we can go ahead with creating new HPE partition and rollover all new archives to new partition.

Refer note on Centera for partition rollover
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000037798

Thanks

Rane
Rane

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

what is meant there is, it isn't working for an automatically rollover (volume or time), this does not mean you can not open another partition manually.

Here is a more actual link

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/122185187-122185191-0/v15828511-122185191

GertjanA

My VIP colleague (congrats on that one!) CConsult is right.

There is no automatic roll-over for Centera partitions, but you can manually close the Centera partition, and open the HPY partition.

Apologies if I was not clear initially.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks CConsult for clearing my confusion.

Rgrds

Rane

Rane

Hi Gertjan,

Thank you for your solution, suggestion and clarification. Very much appreciated.

Rgrds,

Rane 

Rane