cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault V9.0 compatibility with Exchange 2010 SP2 and throttling policy question.

mmev
Level 2

Hi, I have inherited an Exchange 2010 SP1/Enterprise Vault V9.0 environment. Will upgrading to Exchange 2010 SP2 cause any issues? Are there any updates I need to apply to Enterprise Vault before applying this Exchange SP?

I was in the process of checking the throttling policy for BES and could see a second policy for Enterprise Vault. I have researched this to check if the previous consultant has followed best practice and I just want to clarify this. From research I see there is a ‘SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1’ script (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH156775) which restricts the following: RCAMaxConcurrency. The previous article suggests throttling the following manually: Set-ThrottlingPolicy -Identity EnterpriseVault_D0F41A15-9E91-D111-84E6-0000F877D428 -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -RCAPercentTimeInAD $null -RCAPercentTimeInCAS $null -RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null

In the current throttling policy, the following are set (I have removed confidential information and settings of $null), so clearly the above hasn’t been applied:

AnonymousMaxConcurrency                   : 1
EASMaxConcurrency                         : 10
EASMaxDevices                             : 10
EWSMaxConcurrency                         : 10
EWSPercentTimeInAD                        : 50
EWSPercentTimeInCAS                       : 90
EWSPercentTimeInMailboxRPC                : 60
EWSMaxSubscriptions                       : 5000
EWSFastSearchTimeoutInSeconds             : 60
EWSFindCountLimit                         : 1000
OWAMaxConcurrency                         : 5
OWAPercentTimeInAD                        : 30
OWAPercentTimeInCAS                       : 150
OWAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC                : 150
POPMaxConcurrency                         : 20
PowerShellMaxConcurrency                  : 18
RCAMaxConcurrency                         : 100
RCAPercentTimeInAD                        : 5
RCAPercentTimeInCAS                       : 205
RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC                : 200
CPAMaxConcurrency                         : 20
CPAPercentTimeInCAS                       : 205
CPAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC                : 200
CPUStartPercent                           : 75
ExchangeVersion                           : 0.10 (14.0.100.0)

Do I need to make the suggested changes? What is the impact if I do/don’t make the changes? I just want to make sure I follow best practice.

Thanks for the advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

if you actually look at the BES servers themselves, these are the settings that BES uses to stop having similar issues, we actually went through this sometime ago ourselves and we just copied the throttling policy that BES uses, and most of our issues and disconnects went away

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Always check the compatibility charts to see whether the versions of exchange you want to use are compatible For the most part the compatibility charts are a pinned forum post on the front page her As for the throttling policy it actually "unthrottles" the EV connection because before the exchange server would monitor how much time queries ran against the CAS and AD and how many connections were made If you do not run the throttling policy script then your task will generate errors and sleep for ten minutes On the enterprise vault server you will simply see a MAPI_E_NETWORKERROR but on the CAS server you will see that the connection was forcibly closed for breaching the connection limits

JesusWept3
Level 6
Oh and for what it's worth, the compatibility was updated yesterday and it shows compatibility for exchange 2010 SP2 for all versions of EV9 and EV10, no MS or EV patches are required

JesusWept3
Level 6

if you actually look at the BES servers themselves, these are the settings that BES uses to stop having similar issues, we actually went through this sometime ago ourselves and we just copied the throttling policy that BES uses, and most of our issues and disconnects went away

mmev
Level 2

Hi, thank you very much for the quick reply. I will double check the compatibility matrix. In reference to the throttling policy. Should I be applying the SetEVThrottlingPolicy.ps1 followed by the manual settings:  Set-ThrottlingPolicy -Identity EnterpriseVault_D0F41A15-9E91-D111-84E6-0000F877D428 -RCAMaxConcurrency $null -RCAPercentTimeInAD $null -RCAPercentTimeInCAS $null -RCAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $null

If I do will I be increasing the load on the CAS servers, bearing in mind we also have BES?