cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault V9 - New Features

lukeb123
Level 4
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if someone has a detailed list of the new features please?  In particular, a client of mine is interested in the mobile device features, but i'm finding it quite hard to find out exactly how this works.  For example...

Is it an app/add-in that is installed on the phone to use these new features, or is it web based?
Is it a free feature?
Is it only compatible with certain mobile devices?

Regards,
Luke
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Answers:
1) Web based
2) Yes
3) depends on their web browser ability.

The documentation is contained in the EV9 install packaged in the Mobile Search folder.  Here is a brief excerpt describing the capability:

Symantec Enterprise VaultMobile Search lets you search for and view Exchange archived emails and their attachments from the Internet browser on your mobile device.  The main difference between Mobile Search and a typical configuration of Enterprise Vault on your office network is that Mobile Search only provides viewing. So, for example,  you cannot reply to or forward an archived email directly, or save an attachment as a file.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Answers:
1) Web based
2) Yes
3) depends on their web browser ability.

The documentation is contained in the EV9 install packaged in the Mobile Search folder.  Here is a brief excerpt describing the capability:

Symantec Enterprise VaultMobile Search lets you search for and view Exchange archived emails and their attachments from the Internet browser on your mobile device.  The main difference between Mobile Search and a typical configuration of Enterprise Vault on your office network is that Mobile Search only provides viewing. So, for example,  you cannot reply to or forward an archived email directly, or save an attachment as a file.

lukeb123
Level 4
Hi maxwits,

Thanks for the good reply.  Could I also ask, is version 9 fully compatible with Outlook 2007 now?  I would imagine so, but the client had to downgrade to Outlook 2003 on their Terminal Server before as version 7 wasn't compatible with 2007.  Thanks!

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Are you talking about Outlook 2007 client being installed on the EV Server?  Then yes it is.

You do need it to be SP2 and hotfixed though.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Outlook 2007 has been supported fully for a long time.  Check out the Compatibility Guide for more details :

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276547.htm
Working for cloudficient.com

lukeb123
Level 4

According to a document I found, it said that Outlook 2007 wasn't supported to be installed on the EV Server with version 7, but that it was compatible client side.  They use the EV Server as a Terminal Server you see so Outlook 2003 had to be installed.

Edit: The document I was reading was the document you quoted actually.  Here's the snippet that I found...

d. Outlook 2007 is not supported on Enterprise Vault 2007 servers. It is supported on users’ desktop computers; it

requires Enterprise Vault 2007 or later service pack. For further essential information about support for Outlook

2007 on users’ desktop computers, see the Enterprise Vault release notes.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Ah okay, I see it.  It has been supported on the servers since V8 though.

So if you are running EV 7, upgrade is the way forward :)

lukeb123
Level 4

smiley  Cheers Rob.  Just what I was after.  They have full support with you guys so I have already downloaded the upgrade package and slf.

One other question if I may?  They are running out of disk space (they had 2GB but I have managed to clean up to 10GB)  But the next time it fills up I really don't think there's much I can remove.  Is there a command/tool that I can run to compress the database at all?  We haven't had to deal with this Software much in the past (a good testament to you guys!) but it would be good if we could run some housekeeping on there to try reduce the size of the database.

Also, is the upgrade similar to Endpoint Protection where it happens on the fly and is a very easy step by step process?  Anything we should know before starting?

Thanks again,
Luke

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
What database are you refering to?

The best thing to do is to read the documentation which comes with the download (you'll see that you can't, for example, go straight from V7 to V9).

lukeb123
Level 4

Well, I would imagine there is a main 'store' database that holds all the archived mail and I would have thought that there would be some cleanup tools you can run to compress it, a bit like the white space within Exchange..?

Is it a case that you have to go from 7 > 8 > 9, or does it have to be backed up and V9 installed fresh?  I'll take a look at the documentation also, cheers.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
There is more to it than the Exchange "single" database.  In Enterprise Vault there is a Directory Database, that sits on a SQL server.  There is at least one vault store database that also sits on SQL (maybe a different SQL server).  There are also partitions on disk, these can be local to the EV server, or on "remote"/"external" storage.  If it's this last one that you refer to, then the best bet is to get a NAS or similiar and move the partitions to that.

Oh, and there are also indices for the archived data..  these too can be local or remote. 

Upgrade as you described is okay, I think.  I think you can go from 7 to 8 (and skip 2007)

lukeb123
Level 4
Cheers.  Sorry for late reply, been out on site!

Is that a definate answer in that we need to go 1 step at a time, from 7 to 8, then 8 to 9?  I would imagine this is the best method rather than having to mess around backing things up and doing a fresh v9 install?

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
It is the only supported method.

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
...Sorry I should also say that you could use third party tools to migrate into a fresh V9.0 site but quite honestly it would be best to upgrade.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Beg to differ here :)

If you have the budget for a 3rd party tool to go straight in to v9 then I would spend it as that way you can take advantage of the new OSIS model. Dont forget the new OSIS wont go back and do legacy data.

If you have TB's of data in a variety of FSA, MBX and Journal stores it might be worth it to migrate straight to v9 and claim back some storage.

lukeb123
Level 4

They only have one SQL Server so I would imagine everything is on their Enterprise Vault Server.  Which database holds the archived mail?  I would guess the vault store.  If not, which database does and can it be defragmented at all to clear up some space before the upgrade?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The database side of things is whereever the SQL servers are configured to..  They are not usually (except in very small installations, or labs) on the same server as the EV Server.

More likely it's the data on the vault store partition that is consuming the space.  I wouldn't recommend compressing that.  I would recommend creating a new vault store partition on a NAS, or additional local storage, and putting data on there.