cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Vault Store

anon1m0us1
Level 6

What is the purpose of a Vault Store? How many would my organization need? Whay criteria should I used to create the Stores? What are the typical naming conventions for the Stores? I read the Admin Doc, but it just tells me how to create the store and some basic info like Vault Stores partition data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hi anon1m0us1, i'll answer in order and at a high-level and if you have some follow up questions we can address them afterwards:

1. Q What is the purpose of a Vault Store?

A. the vault store is a logical container for vault store partitions (physical storage locations) where the archived data is stored and can be a boundary for single instancing of archived data. each vault store will have a corresponding database in sql. as of EV 10 which is the latest version of EV, each Vault Store can have different settings for safety copies, sharing, limits (aka quotas), index groups.

2. Q How many would my organization need?

A. Typically you'll see a vault store per EV server and a vault store per data type. eg, mailbox archiving, journal archiving, FSA, Sharepoint, etc.

3. Q What criteria should I used to create the Stores?

A. I think my previous answer adresses this.

4. Q What are the typical naming conventions for the Stores?

A. This will vary from customer to customer but I typically like to use something that references the EV server, the type of archived data, and the number of the vault store. eg EVARC01MVS1 (EVARC01 - EV server name, M - Mailbox archiving data, VS1 - vault store numbering)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hi anon1m0us1, i'll answer in order and at a high-level and if you have some follow up questions we can address them afterwards:

1. Q What is the purpose of a Vault Store?

A. the vault store is a logical container for vault store partitions (physical storage locations) where the archived data is stored and can be a boundary for single instancing of archived data. each vault store will have a corresponding database in sql. as of EV 10 which is the latest version of EV, each Vault Store can have different settings for safety copies, sharing, limits (aka quotas), index groups.

2. Q How many would my organization need?

A. Typically you'll see a vault store per EV server and a vault store per data type. eg, mailbox archiving, journal archiving, FSA, Sharepoint, etc.

3. Q What criteria should I used to create the Stores?

A. I think my previous answer adresses this.

4. Q What are the typical naming conventions for the Stores?

A. This will vary from customer to customer but I typically like to use something that references the EV server, the type of archived data, and the number of the vault store. eg EVARC01MVS1 (EVARC01 - EV server name, M - Mailbox archiving data, VS1 - vault store numbering)

anon1m0us1
Level 6
Thanks! So it seems I will need two datastores, 1 for Exchange and 1 for PST's. We also have 1 EV server that is clustered, so no additional datastores would be needed besides these 2.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I would seriously suggest getting some training and engaging a consultancy with some one like AndrewB or through Symantec, the choices you make now may be very very difficult to back out of in the future I have seen unfortunately too many instances of where In a years time trying to deal with a misconfiguration and rectify the issue against hundreds of GB of data and it becomes challenging to say the least
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

You will not need a separate store for PSTs.  PST are generally migrated into the archives for a particular user and thus are in the Mailbox Vault Store.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

While training and consultancy are great options, my management are not willing to go that route. And yes, I have asked for training.

I guesss some of us are thrown into the waters and need to learn how to swim. Hopefully, with your help and reading the documentation we will create a viable EV environment.