cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault advanced search Returns values outside of date range

rnt123
Level 5

Hello,

When searching with advanced search on an EV 11.0.1 HF5 server, very recent results were returned even though the date range I entered was 4.5 years ago. I noticed when I unselected "search attachments" the results all fell within the expected date range. Is this by design? Does this mean that the old date range appeared in some text in the attachment? I found this article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000015394

and performed added the search with the “other results attributes”  and all 3 values were the expected dates. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

You're on the right track, but it's not that the dates appear in the text of the attachment. It's that the attachment has its own set of date properties (modified date "mdat" and creation date "date"), separate from those of the item to which it's attached. It is those dates that are tripping your search. In this case, it sounds like someone very recently sent an e-mail and attached a file that was modified 4.5 years ago.

Recall that for most index properties, you can search that property in attachments by prefixing the property name with "a_". Therefore, if you expand your Other Result Attributes field to include "a_mdat" and "a_date", in addition to the properties listed in the article, then you should see the attachment's modified date and creation date, respectively. I bet at least one of those matches your specified date range.

--Chris

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

You're on the right track, but it's not that the dates appear in the text of the attachment. It's that the attachment has its own set of date properties (modified date "mdat" and creation date "date"), separate from those of the item to which it's attached. It is those dates that are tripping your search. In this case, it sounds like someone very recently sent an e-mail and attached a file that was modified 4.5 years ago.

Recall that for most index properties, you can search that property in attachments by prefixing the property name with "a_". Therefore, if you expand your Other Result Attributes field to include "a_mdat" and "a_date", in addition to the properties listed in the article, then you should see the attachment's modified date and creation date, respectively. I bet at least one of those matches your specified date range.

--Chris