cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault and Centera (with Replicas)

HolgerMu
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

i have a Customer who is asking a lot of detailed Questions about how EV Connects to an EMC Centera.

We have the following environment:

3 EV-Servers with dedicated Tasks (1 for Journaling / 1 For Mailbox Archiving / 1 for SMTP Archiving) (EV11.0.1)

4 Vault Stores within 1 VS Group (1 legacy File / 1 Mail / 1 Journal / 1 SMTP) 

Each VS has a dedicated Centera Pool with a dedicated PEA File.

Centera Collections are not enabled

We are currently migrating with Archive Shuttle

The Customer is having the following issues:

The EV Servers are Opening at least 120 Connections to the Centera which is according to EMC very high. The EV System is also opening a lot of connections to the Replica Centera IP. Sometimes EV is opening about 1000 Connections to the Centera. This is causing the Centera to have a VERY poor Performance.

The Questions are:

Is it possible to limit the amount of connections? Why is EV connecting to the Replica Centera IP?

Thanks,

Holger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Why are you not using collections?  I thought it was recommended by EMC to enable collections.

Each EV server's Storage Service is going to be storing items on the Centera, what do you have set for number of processes on those?  Look at the property pages.

As for the Replica's, EV is looking there to make sure the items have been replicated so that it knows they are secure.  I would imagine since you are not using collections that is the reason the count is so high, but that is just a guess.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

Why are you not using collections?  I thought it was recommended by EMC to enable collections.

Each EV server's Storage Service is going to be storing items on the Centera, what do you have set for number of processes on those?  Look at the property pages.

As for the Replica's, EV is looking there to make sure the items have been replicated so that it knows they are secure.  I would imagine since you are not using collections that is the reason the count is so high, but that is just a guess.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Some high level information about EV centera connections can be found in following blog.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/tr/blogs/ev-emc-centera-connections

As Tony said, enabling centera collection should reduce no of connection as EV process collects multiple items and then send it to EMC.

Regards

Pradeep Papnai

HolgerMu
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We will be implementing Collections and see from there. This was just "not on our radar" to do that. I am personally not a big fan of the Centera.

Will EV also connect to the replica machine to check if the items are secured?

My understanding was that both Centeras communicate with each other and let EV know through the main-machine that the items have been secured.

BR

Holger

TonySterling

Yes, EV will be connecting to the replica.

HolgerMu
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the Info, Tony!

This explains some behavior we have.