cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault backup Schedule

Piggy99
Not applicable

I am having issues with uncommitted transaction logs in Exchange. They reach 1024 and the stores go offline. Articles suggest "circular logging" but I am not a fan. Microsoft suggest its because I am runnning my Exchange backups while I have the Archive task running?  So what is the best order of events when scheduling backups for Enterprise Vault? What should the order be?

1) Backup Exchange Databases

2) Backup SQL Databases

3) Backup Vault & Indexes

Or

1) Backup SQL Databases

2) Backup Vault & Indexes

3) Backup Exchange Databases

EV = V9

BKUP = BKUPExec 12.5

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The question is not so much in the order, but the archiving schedule...

I suggest:

perform an archiving run (20:00 to 02:00) set ev in backup mode

backup stores/indexes (02:00 to 04:00) timeframe depends how much how fast being backed up

backup sql db's for EV (02:00 to 04:00 timeframe as above

backup exchange (02:00 to 04:00) timeframe as above

clear ev backup mode 19:45

also depens on your settings (shortcuts yes no, immediately after archiving or after backup)

I've seen sites where ev is in backup mode during the day (08:00 to 18:00), allowing backups of EV being made during the day. Exchange backups then made from 20:00 to 24:00, archiving window from 24:00 to 06:00

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i dont see any issue at all with overlapping backups of exchange and ev. hopefully your hardware and storage are seperate for the two systems. for the rest of the answer, as in many cases, it depends.....

as gertjan said, the real issue is your archiving schedule. if your archiving overlaps with your exchange backups it can definitely cause latency and a large buildup of tran logs in exchange.

if you're in a real pinch with the schedules, you might look to tune down the archiving tasks so they don't churn through the messages to quickly. (ie threads and messages per pass)