cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault backup - TSM

Itegral
Level 6

Guys,

I have two EV servers (one each for Exchange and FSA). The backup product we are using is TSM.

The TSM backup runs in a batch, which means I dont know when does the backup for File Servers target ends/completes.

I have to create a script to reside on EV server, which can be called by TSM when TSM ends the File Servers' backup.

The script has to;

1 - Put the vault stores and index locations in backup mode

2 - Call the TSM schedular to initiate the job to backup EV vault stores and Index locations through TSM to tape

3 - reset the archive bit

4 - Clear the backup mode

Could you please assist?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Typically TSM calls the EV Scripts.  That is how customers I have worked with in the past do it.

TSM call the SetBackupMode.bat script, does the backup, and then calls ClearBackupMode.bat create the trigger file and to clear backup mode.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

TonySterling

Give this technote a read.  It explains how to use a trigger file for backup software that will not remove the attribute.  It was create for EV 8 but is still valid for EV 9 and 10.

How to use a trigger file for devices that do not support the Archive bit when using Enterprise Vault (EV) 8.0

Article: TECH67559  |  Created: 2009-01-05  |  Updated: 2010-01-20  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67559

Itegral
Level 6

thanks - I had been through this before.

If someone already have a script to call TSM scheduler to initiate EV vault stores and Index locations, please assist.

Thanks

TonySterling

Typically TSM calls the EV Scripts.  That is how customers I have worked with in the past do it.

TSM call the SetBackupMode.bat script, does the backup, and then calls ClearBackupMode.bat create the trigger file and to clear backup mode.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

as far i know - TSM has a incremental forever approach. Have you ever considered the needed time to restore a whole VaultStore Partion?

Wouldn't it be nice, if you could get rid of the long backups and restores?

Our approach is to replicate instead of backing up. (as archived data is static data...)

You might want to read our whitepaper realated to that:

http://www.quadrotech-it.com/files/EVnearSync-WhitePaper.pdf

Best regards,
Peter

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Replication != backup
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Itegral
Level 6

Peter - this involves extra cost, probably per TB, right?

Do you have a licensing model for me to go through please.

Itegral
Level 6

TSM runs the File Servers backup as part of a batch which runs over-night.

So, we dont know when does the File Servers backup completes; but we know when does batch ends. We only want to kick-off the EV archiving task once the file server backup is completed.

Since we are unaware of the completion time of the File Servers backup, should we;

first - kick-off the EV archiving task (during the day)?

second - kick-off EV server backup during the day?

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

on number of users... not on TB...

If you want a ballpark figure of the costs (it's not that expensive...) please drop me a pm.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

... if you do it the right way (object based and application integrated).

Did you ever saw a customer backing up his centera's?

As archived Data is static data and will never change, a 2nd reliable copy is enough for DR Proposes. Why having the same static saveset's in different Backup Sets?

We can do the same thing with our software for ANY KIND OF STORAGE! and because it's integrated in EV's saftety copy mechanism you'll have a RPO of 0 (no dataloss possible) and a RTO of some sconds.

/Peter

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

replication!=backup -agreed

As long you're using EVNS = object based and application integrated
RPO=0 / RTO=30 seconds

JesusWept3
Level 6
Coming from support I have seen too many instances where people have deleted the wrong archive and the only way to get it back is from backup, if that's replicated then you can't recover the lost items from a replica And yes, I have seen people backup centeras via NDMP

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

that's the case we have a "delayed deletion" on the replica... So you are able to restore within a defined period of time (default: 6 months).

If you need to restore a whole deleted archive, how would you do it from backup?
Restore to an 6 Month old version of the EVDB's? ;)

From my expierence (...and i'm dealing since 10 years with EV) i never saw customers backing up their centera environment...

But that's just my 2 cents...

JesusWept3
Level 6
Yes, you restore an entire environment to a VMware solution, export it out and then back to the production environment, and there are more examples of that as well, for instance when corruption occurs because of a disk based failure or virus etc that can happen on a replica and when it's time to fail over things are missing etc And i have a seen a few customers backup centeras, on average i was dealing with 20 different customers a day for three years with all sorts of problems, including those who believed that replication = backup

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

that's exactly the reason we're not using storage based (block based)  replication (aka. mirroring).

The source as well the target Disk are completly independant so no logical corruption can be replicated.