cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault client - restoring emails before exporting to pst

marek_zapart
Level 2

Hello,

are there any powershell cmdlets for Enteprise Vault client? I need to automate "restoring" process before exporting emails to the .pst file.

Sometimes users create very complex structure in inbox folder and it takes too much time and effort to mark and restore all emails that have been achived via Vault (or maybe i am doing something wrong?)

I dont have access to Enteprise Vault Server and my question is if there is any powershell solution for it (but not serversite)? Or maybe other scripting language? Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

there are migration tools like TransVault and ArchiveShuttle which leverage the EV API but no, there isn't any powershell or scripting interface like you're asking for.

just curious, why do you need to restore before you export to pst?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I see that you don't have access to the EV server.  Are you trying to restore to the Exchange mailbox before exporting to PST.  Why not have the EV Admin export directly from Vault console?

marek_zapart
Level 2

Thank you Gents for answers.

AndrewB -i believe if i will not do it then mails in .pst files will be incomplete (incomplete message and no attachment) . Or am i wrong?

WitSend this is what i want to do and  unfortunetaly dont have access to the EV server. I dont have admin console. Do i need any rights to the EV server if i want to install/use it?

AndrewB

to clarify, you meant that you're exporting your email from Outlook and wanted to make sure the shortcuts are restored first but because you have a lot of email to restore and a complex folder structure, it's a PITA to do this from Outlook. the answer is that you really should work with your IT department, specifically the Exchange team / EV team to fulfill your requirement. they can export your archive and provide it to you as a PST file or push it all back into your mailbox.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Attempting to do this without access to the EV server or EV Admin account is next to impossible.  By default there are limits to how much you can restore to a mailbox at a time. It cannot be scripted, and even if it could you'd still need the EV Admin password or a PowerAdmin/Exchange Admin account with permissions. 

marek_zapart
Level 2

AdnrewB could you explain or send me a link what is PITA (tried to google it but without success) ? I will try to use your suggestion and maybe contact EV team (however it's a hard topic;))

WitSend so probalby i will have to ask EV team:)

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

:) http://www.internetslang.com/PITA.asp

Pain In The Ass

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB

hope we helped a little bit. sometimes you cant do things without IT for a reason.