cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault crashing randomly - Outlook 365

nate009
Level 2

Hi,

Currently a few of our users are having issues with Enterprise Vault randomly crashing and i wondered if i could get some assistance.

The version of EV we are using is 12.3.1.XXX and we upgraded from the symantec version of 11.0.1.XXX

Since the upgrade EV randomly crashes throughout the day but only on a handful of devices, I cant seem to work out why and just wondered if this had been reported already.

The logs of the machine show:

Add-in execution error. Outlook crashed during the 'Close' callback of the 'ItemEvents_10' interface while calling into the 'Enterprise Vault Add-in' add-in.

I have attached a screenshot of one of the other errors we are seeing.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gertjan 

Its funny you post this today as I have just finished tested and indeed Forcepoint is the culprit.
For those who don't know Forcepoint is a proxy to the internet and is blocking outgoing connections from EV to whatever it is EV is trying to connect to which causes Outlook to hang and crash.

I am currently running a wireshark on a machine trying to replicate the crash and see what the destination is that EV is trying to connect to so we can create a rule in Forcepoint to allow access.

Once I have all the details i will post!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Nate,

Exactly which Outlook version are those devices using? Are they by any chance Click-to-run Outlook? I Googled, and found THIS link. This seems to point to something called ForcePoint? Do you use that?

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan

We are using a Office 365 click-to-run with various build numbers. And yes we are using ForcePoint.

I did find that article but it was dismissed as none of the errors pointed to that application, its a web proxy and shouldn't interfere with EV, however I am going to test it today and remove it from a few devices that have been erroring daily and see what happens.

I will update this and let you know the result.

GertjanA

Hello Nate,

I'm curious about the result of your tests, if you had time to do so.

Thanks!

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan 

Its funny you post this today as I have just finished tested and indeed Forcepoint is the culprit.
For those who don't know Forcepoint is a proxy to the internet and is blocking outgoing connections from EV to whatever it is EV is trying to connect to which causes Outlook to hang and crash.

I am currently running a wireshark on a machine trying to replicate the crash and see what the destination is that EV is trying to connect to so we can create a rule in Forcepoint to allow access.

Once I have all the details i will post!

Hi Gertjan

Just to add the issue is specifically ForcePoint 19.05v and the fix is to upgrade the application to 19.08v which is the latest version at this time.

The issue is that there is a known bug in 19.05v causing Outlook to crash but it blames EV as the cause.
Hope this helps anyone who has the problem! This hurt my brain for weeks!

***************UPDATE***************

Upgrading to version 19.08 of Forcepoint fixes the issue, there is a bug with versions 19.03v to 19.07v so if you have these in your environment then upgrade as soon as you can. For more info you can check this post which is what helped me: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2209165-outlook-crashing-across-entire-domain?page=4&paginati...

GertjanA

Excellent! Good find.

If you mark your own last entry as solution, others who have this issue can find it, and hopefully use your reply to fix it.

Regards. Gertjan