cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault disappears from Outlook

bukle
Level 4

1- Exchange Server 2007 runs in MS Windows server 2003 R3 (Standard x64 Edition with SP2)

2- Users have Outlook 2003 SP3

3- OS is XP Professional Version 2002 with SP3

4- We use Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In 7.5 with SP4 (it packaged and rolled out by AD)

Problem:

When some users turn off and on the pc, they lost the Enterprise Vault icons in Outlook.. Uninstall and install the software doesn't help always. Then I delet the profile and create a new one.. But I am looking for a permanent solution..

Does any one know what the cause is and how can I solve this problem?

12 REPLIES 12

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Buckle,

Difficult to troubleshoot. Instead of reinstalling, you could try running the resetevclient.exe in the c:\program files\enterprise vault\evclient folder.

To troubleshoot, enable logging on the client. (ctrl+alt, click on an ev-icon in outlook, set logging to 4, close/start outlook). See if you can get some info from there. Is there anything similar to the users loosing the icons and the users that do not? Specific rights/ou's/policies?

gj

Regards. Gertjan

Alan_M
Level 6
Another thing to consider when troubleshooting would be to look at what other Outlook add-ins are being used on those machines. EV (and other Outlook add-ins in general) can conflict with each other.

bukle
Level 4
I was away for a while. I am back and this probleem is nog solved. I see that my collegue made two msi (enterprise vault with sp2 en sp4). Both packages are rolled out. I think this is the problem, but which one can I delete, sp4 or sp2?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Hi bukle,

I'd suggest you remove both ... and then go with the EV 2007 SP 5 client, repackaged and rolled-out to your users.

Working for cloudficient.com

bukle
Level 4
It strange! some of users' pc's I check programme files. Enterprise Vault map is not among software list.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
For thos machines, the Outlook Add-in is not installed, I don't think.

bukle
Level 4
That's right! packages are rolled out throug GPO! This is weird!

kkate
Level 5
Accredited
Also please verify the user account configured in Outlook are with cache enabled..
If selected then deselect the cache mode.
Also open Outlook----->Help---->Microsoft Outllok----->disable items----->clear enterprise vault slected.

Please reply for any queries.

Regards
KK

fnketterman
Level 2
The differences are that I have a user with Microsoft Outlook 2007 we have installed v8.0.  It shows in Add/Remove programs as installed, yet will not show up in Outlook (neither icons nor the entry under "Tools") and gives an error message when you start Outlook.  I have ran resetEVclient.exe, with no errors, yet the error message persists and states that the EVClient .dlls are not installed.  I have reinstalled Outlook and the EVClient and reinstalled after running chkdsk for errors on the disk, it will show up for a few open/close cycles then disappear and the error message will return upon opening Outlook.  I have looked in the "disabled items" list and there is nothing here.

Thanks for the assistance.
Frank

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
fnketterman,

Without a detailed look at your environment it's quite difficult to say for sure what is the cause of the problem.

However here are some thoughts, and ideas :-

a) What is the error message you get?
b) Are the users a local administrator on the machine or not?  Does it make any difference if they are?
c) Is this one or many users?
d) Does creating a new Outlook profile solve the issue?
e) What registry keys do you have under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS ?
f) What registry keys do you have under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS ?

fnketterman
Level 2

a) "The Add-in "Enterprise Vault" (C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient\valkyrie.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uninstall the Add-in."

b) user is pc local admin.  Changing this does not seem to make any difference.

c) This has occured on multiple users, generally an un-install/re-install seems to fix it, but not in all cases.

d) No.

e) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install]
"Version"="8.0-Full"
"DeskTopClient"="Installed"
"InstallationDate"="1/21/2010 15:35:46"
"Installer"="/ "
"KitType"="Full Client"
"InstallPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Enterprise Vault\\EVClient\\"
"ClientKit"="Full Client"

f) [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client]
"OLBarState"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\Defaults]
"RestoreLocation"=dword:00000001
"DeleteShortcut"=dword:00000001
"CreateShortcut"=dword:00000001
"DeleteOriginal"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\PSTsMarked]
"4d02fb0acfc5524b86f9ef849307b737"="Internet Calendars"
"939472917eeaf84a80688b3199a430dd"="Personal Folders"

Thanks for the assistance.
Frank

Turls
Level 6
@fnketterman, instead of reviving old threads, hereafter please make sure to post your questions on a new thread. Thanks!