cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault keeps Failing

Rax2473
Level 3

Hi, 

I have a laptop user who is using EV vault addin - we use EV version 8.0 on Exchange 2007 using Outlook 2003 in a Office XP suite. 

The issue : Whenever the user log off from the system and then comes back - she finds that the Vault does not display the archived messages.

The only solution is to then to go the location of the EV cache ( C;/documents and settings/All users/ application data/KVSCache and rename the existing cache to .old. 

I then went to the registry key and rest the cache. I then synch and the vault synch alright. 

However, after two consecutive logins, the same issue occurs ( screenshot attached). 

I have taken the EV vault and would need your help in understanding the reason as to why she is having this issue repeatedly occuring on the client. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

The corruption isssue that may be related to SEP corrupts the databaselist.iini file (or something named like that).  You;ll know it's corrupt because you'll see references toe error.db in the dtrace and that doesn't appear in the above case.

I'm not an expert on Client log trace but I think this line perhaps is significant...?

"CONTENT:BUILD: JobId '17D9BAF29D4F5EE4182B25C54046499D91p10000mailarchive03.service.allianz.com' STILL BUILDING

14/02/2012 14:27:52.619[1388]: HDR:SCHED: Not automatically adding Virtual Vault - Bourne, Suzanne (Allianz UK) (eid: 17388789E559BCB4092F0FDBF175C65BD1110000mailarchive03.service.allianz.com) to profile. One of the archives the user has access to is awaiting Archive Task processing.
14/02/2012 14:27:52.628[1388]: HDR:SYNC:ARC: Considering '107ECFCEC71A9B249AD2AAEF29627125A1110000mailarchive03.service.allianz.com' for synchronization. "

Not exactly sure what this means but I wonder if it's related...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First and foremost i would use the EV9 SP3 client as it has a boat load of Vault Cache and Virtual Vault fixes that may help in the stability of this

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JesusWept3
Level 6

Also make sure that your Anti Virus is excluding the directory where your cache resides, we had a rash of users who continually got the same type of error until excluding Macafee from scanning it, after that, its been stable ever since

Rax2473
Level 3

Hi JW2, 

wish it could have been as easy as in our organization, it is being managed by a different organization for a lot of OE companies throughout the world and so EV 8.0 is here to stay for some time... 

Rax2473
Level 3

Hi JW2, 

Is there anything in the logs which is showed this to be the root cause... we have SYMANTEC ENDPOINT PROTECTION for all our clients and if this is the cause, then it would be a great breakthrough for us, who have been haunted by this issue right from the time we migrated from KVS vault to the Symantec Enterprise Vault solution nearly a year ago.

From the inception, we have not been able to understand the reason for so many vaults breaing down every other week for most of our 5500+ users at one point or the other... 

Please help me to take this to management and I need to be very doubly sure of the root cause. I await your reply on this. 

JesusWept3
Level 6

just to clarify, i mean the EV9 SP3 client and not upgrading the server to EV9 SP3.
The EV client for EV9 is backward compatible to EV8 SP4+

And also remember that with each new client will come new fixes and optimizations, a lot of which are missing in client you are currently using.

Until EV9 SP3 client, the best client hands down to use was the EV9 SP1 hotfixed client

JesusWept3
Level 6

honest truth is, it was gut feeling, we found that every time we did a resynch of the cache, it worked fine, for a few days , sometimes less than a day, and it would consistently corrupt the MDC over and over and over again.

so we started looking at what types of things would actually be intefering with the MDC file? it would either be outlook or the Anti-Virus, there were no other real possibilities.

So out of about a dozen users, we simply just changed the config for one user, and then they synced, they didn't have an issue, then we tried a couple of more users and one by one their issues went away.

Unfortuantely there was nothing in the log that would indicate that AV was intefering so it *could* be just a pure case of coincidence, we didn't upgrade any clients (we were on EV9 SP1 hotfix client), we didn't change any server configs or GPO's, we simply changed the AV scanning.

After that we made it a regular exclusion and haven't had that particular issue since where it reoccurs for the same users over and over again.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

The corruption isssue that may be related to SEP corrupts the databaselist.iini file (or something named like that).  You;ll know it's corrupt because you'll see references toe error.db in the dtrace and that doesn't appear in the above case.

I'm not an expert on Client log trace but I think this line perhaps is significant...?

"CONTENT:BUILD: JobId '17D9BAF29D4F5EE4182B25C54046499D91p10000mailarchive03.service.allianz.com' STILL BUILDING

14/02/2012 14:27:52.619[1388]: HDR:SCHED: Not automatically adding Virtual Vault - Bourne, Suzanne (Allianz UK) (eid: 17388789E559BCB4092F0FDBF175C65BD1110000mailarchive03.service.allianz.com) to profile. One of the archives the user has access to is awaiting Archive Task processing.
14/02/2012 14:27:52.628[1388]: HDR:SYNC:ARC: Considering '107ECFCEC71A9B249AD2AAEF29627125A1110000mailarchive03.service.allianz.com' for synchronization. "

Not exactly sure what this means but I wonder if it's related...