cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault on a Virtual Server...

rsnooks87
Level 2

One of our clients has Enterprise Vault 8.0.3 installed on a Virtual Server. Performance is terrible and it apparantly took 6 months to archive 21 (albeit large) mailboxes when it was first installed.

I'm fairly sure that i previously read that it is NOT recommended to install Enterprise Vault on a Virtual Server due to known performance issues that occur and therefore it is recommended for it to be installed on its own physical server.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct and, preferbly, provide a source?

I have been unable to find anything with my limited google skills.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The key to using virtualized servers is to ensure that there are sufficient resources (CPU and RAM) that are designated for the EV server.  If the resources are not dedicated to the EV server then we see performance issues because the resources cannot be allocated quickly enough to respond to the EV resource requests. 

Another potential problem would be conflict on the NICs. 

Virtualized servers are supported and many environments use them quite successfully, but it does require specific tuning for EV.  EV is a resource intensive software, especially during archiving runs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Are you talking about Microsoft Virtual Server, or generically about the server being virtual?

We publish details for VMWare : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64450

Working for cloudficient.com

rsnooks87
Level 2

Well, in this instance it would be Microsoft Hyper-V... but generically would be good.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The key to using virtualized servers is to ensure that there are sufficient resources (CPU and RAM) that are designated for the EV server.  If the resources are not dedicated to the EV server then we see performance issues because the resources cannot be allocated quickly enough to respond to the EV resource requests. 

Another potential problem would be conflict on the NICs. 

Virtualized servers are supported and many environments use them quite successfully, but it does require specific tuning for EV.  EV is a resource intensive software, especially during archiving runs.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

To answer the OP, EV is fine on a virtual server. Same rules apply that would do to any virtual server; ensure it has adequate resources and is not competing constantly with other machines on the host

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

ditto. it runs just fine if your virtual infrastructure is up to it. i've seen everything from companies running EV on enterprise VMware farms to a simple standalone 2-node Hyperv setup with direct attached storage.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How many resources (CPU, Memory, Disk, network) did you allocate for Enterprise Vault and do not forget the SQL server, it also requires a lot of resources.

When archiving, you should monitoring the resources, and see which one is the bottleneck.

Also check your archiving schedule, if there is only 1 hour archiving time per day, yes it will take a while. Sometimes archiving start at almost the same time as the backup and EV in backup mode does not archive.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the environment I worked in a while ago, EV ran in Hyper-V environment just fine. 4 Mailbox archiving servers, each handling about 5000 mailboxes just fine!

It is as stated above, important to make sure you have enough underlying CPU and RAM so the VM's run at best performance.

Regards. Gertjan