cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault policy

Jo_symantec
Not applicable

Symantec Enterprise Vault is configured to archive file server data. Policies are configured as below

- Volume policy - Archive All files - Modified date> 1 year + Access date >3 months

- Root Folder policy (\) - Archive all files - modified date > 3 months + Access date > 3 months

- Subfolder Policy - Archive all files - modifiy date > 6 months + Access date  > 6 months

.Which policy will be taken priority for a folder which is having subfolder policy and Ignore volume policy is not ticked.

3 REPLIES 3

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

if you apply a folder policy and a file is not matched by the rules in the folder policy then, by default, Enterprise Vault tries to find a match in the volume policy rules. If you want to force Enterprise Vault not to apply the volume policy rules, edit the folder properties later in the Administration Console and select Ignore volume rules for this folder.

You can check the below article..

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58087

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I hope the above info clears your doubt.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

In that scenario, 'a folder which is having subfolder policy and Ignore volume policy is not ticked', the priority would be subfolder policy, then volume policy.

With this configuration, some files might get archived under the folder policy and some others under the volume policy. It would depend of how often the file is modified or accessed. You might have some files that are accessed more often than others but that never gets modified. In that case, the volume policy will apply at some point.

Honestly, I think that with these policies you might end with files archived at the volume level that were located at the folder level. Enabling 'Ignore volume rules for this folder' at the folder level would avoid issues like this.

I hope this helps.