cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault unexpected shutdown

wkuiper
Level 3
About once every 2 weeks  the Enterprise Vault Directory Service stops because of a Full C: Disk during File System Archiving Tasks  processing on the EV File Archiving Server. To solve the problem the service has to be started again manually.
Is there any EV activity that could cause that?

Configuration:
Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP3
Windows Server 2003 SE SP2 R2
C: disk  16 GB (11 GB used + 5GB free)
D: DATA
I:  Index
M: MSMQ
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In this case I would NOT recommend using NoMonitort.  He is running out of space and needs to sort out why that is occurring.  Most likely the temp location is filling up as posted above. Also double check the location for the Shopping basket, Vault Cache location, and MSMQ.  Those should all be moved off C:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Page file?
Temp folder? EV uses Temp location when archiving large FSA files
A backup of something writing to C?

Batmanfail
Level 4
Have you set your Temp and TMP environment variables yet?  Temporary files are created during the process, so placing these on another drive with plenty of space may be necessary (i.e. set Temp and TMP to D:\)

WHAM, SMASH, WOLLOP!

GertjanA

Hello Wkuiper,

There is a registry hack that allows this to be skipped:

NoMonitor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService

DWORD
0 Monitor resources
1 Do not monitor resources

The Admin Service automatically monitors memory and disk space resources, logging warnings in the Application Log if necessary and, in extreme cases, shutting down Enterprise Vault services. You can use NoMonitor to force the Admin Service not to monitor resources. See also the Administration Help topic "Modifying the Admin Service" for more information about the Admin Service and a description of how to control monitoring by editing the Admin Services startup parameters

page 27 of the Registry Values pdf.

This might help. Only use if you are absolutely sure there will be enough room always.

Regards. Gertjan

TonySterling

In this case I would NOT recommend using NoMonitort.  He is running out of space and needs to sort out why that is occurring.  Most likely the temp location is filling up as posted above. Also double check the location for the Shopping basket, Vault Cache location, and MSMQ.  Those should all be moved off C:

Mark_Ludgate
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Are you message queues on the c:\
MSMQ could be taking up the space

Rahul_Sharma1
Level 3
Employee Accredited
As stated by Tony, I would not recommend to use the NoMonitor regkey.

Enterprise Vault does not have a file limit but when a large item is process, EV will copy the files to the local Temp dir of the EV Server. If the c-drive of the EV server does not have enough space the following errors will be seen:

The FSA log will show:
*** Error *** - There is not enough space on the disk. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070070)

A DTrace of the EvFsaArchivingTask will show:
27404 11:01:34.648 [10112] (EvFsaArchivingTask) <10228> EV:H CEVByteStreamMemoryFileImpl::UseFileStreamNow Swapping to using a file stream
27405 11:01:34.648 [10112] (EvFsaArchivingTask) <10228> EV:H CEVByteStreamMemoryFileImpl::UseFileStreamNow Stream created on C:\DOCUME~1\RNACT-~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\EV$326D.tmp
28059 11:06:28.466 [10112] (EvFsaArchivingTask) <10228> EV:H CEVByteStream::Write _com_error exception. hr=There is not enough space on the disk. [0x80070070]

%TEMP% System Variable

I would recommed you reassign the TEMP system variable to a drive other than the C: drive. which has plenty of space.