cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault v10 extension issue - Exch 2010 OWA with IIS ARR Reverse Proxy

Steve-MDC
Level 2

Hi,

We have installed Exchange 2010 EV extensions on our CAS server for OWA. Internally on the LAN, Ent Vault works fine when redirecting directly to the EV server URL.

I have configured the CAS server with EnterpriseVault_ExternalIPAddresses to force the the use of the external OWA domain name/external URL when using OWA from an external source. I have configured IIS ARR as a reverse proxy in the DMZ, just to pass through to the CAS server only on port 443.

When I access an archived email using OWA externally, the email does load. However, when I select Archive explorer or Search Vault, I am getting error 404. I am unsure if I need further configuration on the IIS ARR server, or if it is something I am missing regarding EV? As the CAS server should be proxying EV, I thought that configuring ARR just for port 443 to the CAS server was correct? The EV server is only using port 80 on the LAN for connectivity, could it be this that is stopping the CAS from proxying correctly?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Steve,

Accessing Search.asp & ArchiveExplorerUI.asp the calls goes directly to the EV Server not via your CAS Server.

This is the reason why you need to Publish EV Server externally..

Also please have a look on the attached pdf for configuring Internal and External Url for Enterprise Vault.

Steve-MDC
Level 2

Hi A_J,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have been through the document and have now decided that during my testing to set the CAS server/EV extension config as EnterpriseVault_UseExternalWebAppUrl to 'true' for now. This means I can test EV on the LAN not using IIS ARR, to remote that from the equasion for now.

Now I have done this, I can see that the URL remains as our OWA server when accessing EV Archive Explorer and Search Archives, but I still get error 404 - this is the element I don't understand. Would the logs help?

Also, even with this set when I open an archived email and click on 'view the original item', it still uses the internal EV server's FQDN. Is this related to the EV icons not being present in OWA?

Do I need to re-install the OWA extensions on the Exchange 2010 server?

Thanks again,

Steve.

A_J1
Level 6

Hi Steve,

I guess you misunderstood me, In you intial post you mentioned 

We have installed Exchange 2010 EV extensions on our CAS server for OWA. Internally on the LAN, Ent Vault works fine when redirecting directly to the EV server URL.

==> So from above statement i have understood that Internally it is working fine. 

I have configured the CAS server with EnterpriseVault_ExternalIPAddresses to force the the use of the external OWA domain name/external URL when using OWA from an external source. I have configured IIS ARR as a reverse proxy in the DMZ, just to pass through to the CAS server only on port 443.

When I access an archived email using OWA externally, the email does load. However, when I select Archive explorer or Search Vault, I am getting error 404.

==> So Now it will work externally for all actions except Archive Explorer and Search.asp.

because search.asp and archiveexplorerui.asp calls are made directly to you EV Server. and cannot be re-directed by OWA.

So that said.. You have to Publish you EV externally so that search and archiveexplorer can be accessed externally..

Let me know if you have any queries..

I hope this helps !!!

Regards,

A_J

A_J1
Level 6

Hi Steve,

Do you have any update ??

A_J1
Level 6

Hi Steve,

Do you need any further asistance in this instance ??