cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault v8.0 - Esport to original mailbox

MadAsToast
Level 3

Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to help me here, I am trying to "unvault" a user by exporting all vaulted content back to the original mailbox.

I use the following steps:

Disable vaulting (to be sure nothing new gets sent)

Exporting (using GUI wizard) everything back to the original location, using the option to remove items from the vault as it goes - using the default folder \ and enabling the sub folders.

The problem is that whilst it seems to have done the job "partially" there are still a number of itmes showing as vaulted, however these are now broken links as it claims the vault is empty.

I know the user hasn't deleted or moved the files (as it's part of the IT Team) so they aren't orphaned links (theres over 1000 items, which would seem alot ot be orphaned especially as the policy enforces delete orphased items), I have tried running an export again to a PST to be sure, this finishes immediately with nothing created.

The items aren't duplicated anwhere else within the mailbox, can I assume that all items are left in the original folders or are they centralised somewhere else?

My issue is, what do I do now, it seems to have "lost" alot of stored items, now this isn't a massive issue with this one mailstore as it's IT we can play a certain amount of "hey it happens" however I have the MD's vault to remove soon and I'm sure the "hey it happens" conversaton will be fairly unpopular!

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

TIA

Hibbs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

well there should be an option to export to their original location or to a specified location

so first question is what version of enterprise vault are you using?
If Enterprise Vault 8 or 9 do you have the Moved Items (Update Shortcut Location) set up for these users?

How are you determining whether its putting them in the right place or not? is this based on what the user is saying? (for instance if you create an outlook rule and this apply to items that already exist it could move more items that they think they moved

So for instance if i have a bunch of email in Inbox, some archived, some not archived
And then i say i want all email from myUser@company.com to go to \inbox\myUser
I then tell it to move everything retroactively and going forward, i now have all items sent from myUser going to that myUser folder.

If i was to look in Archive Explorer though I would see the emails being stored under \inbox and not \inbox\myUser. If i then enabled Moved Items and then run a shortcut processing task against that mailbox, the items would appear under \inbox\myUser
(The shortcut processing runs at the same time as the regular archiving task runs, you can only do a shortcuts only processing by doing a run now)

BUT if i don't have that switched on, then when i export anything back to its original location, its going to export it to the location specified in the indexes, which in this case is \inbox\ and not \myUser.

Also note that if you copy shortcuts so i now have a shortcut in \inbox and \inbox\myUser it will only overwrite one set of shortcuts and not both of them, leading you to think that there are items that have been orphaned.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6

I suspect that those are orphaned shortcuts. If EV reports successful export, then this is usually true.

Try to check this by exporting without deleting, and then checking the shortcuts again.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Agreed with michael, Try checking the search.asp and archiveExplorer and seeing if there are items there, its either copied shortcuts, moved shortcuts, shortcuts from other people or orphaned shortcuts, i'd have a hard time believing that it would be data loss

MadAsToast
Level 3

It seems that the export has been a little "unfriendly" with where it's "dumped" the files, seems rather than just leaving it where it was it's created two new folders PST Archives and Archived Folders, which Outlook decided it was going to ignore on the search function.

Is there a way of making it put the files back where they were archived from?

Hibbs

JesusWept3
Level 6

well there should be an option to export to their original location or to a specified location

so first question is what version of enterprise vault are you using?
If Enterprise Vault 8 or 9 do you have the Moved Items (Update Shortcut Location) set up for these users?

How are you determining whether its putting them in the right place or not? is this based on what the user is saying? (for instance if you create an outlook rule and this apply to items that already exist it could move more items that they think they moved

So for instance if i have a bunch of email in Inbox, some archived, some not archived
And then i say i want all email from myUser@company.com to go to \inbox\myUser
I then tell it to move everything retroactively and going forward, i now have all items sent from myUser going to that myUser folder.

If i was to look in Archive Explorer though I would see the emails being stored under \inbox and not \inbox\myUser. If i then enabled Moved Items and then run a shortcut processing task against that mailbox, the items would appear under \inbox\myUser
(The shortcut processing runs at the same time as the regular archiving task runs, you can only do a shortcuts only processing by doing a run now)

BUT if i don't have that switched on, then when i export anything back to its original location, its going to export it to the location specified in the indexes, which in this case is \inbox\ and not \myUser.

Also note that if you copy shortcuts so i now have a shortcut in \inbox and \inbox\myUser it will only overwrite one set of shortcuts and not both of them, leading you to think that there are items that have been orphaned.