cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault version best practices

MattChapman
Level 2

Hi

As the title suggests I just need a little information as to Symantec's recommended best practise for versioning on Enterprise Vault for Exchange.

We are currently running EV 10.0.3 and the Outlook client through our business.

There are a couple of machines which have Outlook 2013 SP1, and we have had to install the 10.0.4 CFH2 Outlook client onto these to ensure these people can access their vaults and I was wondering if this was something Symantec would suggest we don't do and if so why that would be.

From what we can tell, everything seems to be working fine, but we are quite new to this product and wanted to make sure that we aren't going to be causing ourselves future issues.

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Outlook client (i.e. the Add-In) is officially supported 1 SERVER version up, and 1 down.

The EV10.x client supports EV-server version 9/10/11 (if and when 11 comes out)

Note I write 10.x

Any 10 version client is ok to use. There is no harm in using a higher level client. There might be some features in the new client that will not work when using it against a lower server version, but that is all explained in the compatibility guide (as Rob states). In addition to that, there should also be a 'readme.htm and an 'updates.htm' with the CHF which details what has been fixed.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Take a look at the compatibility guide it should answer your questions:

https://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537

Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Outlook client (i.e. the Add-In) is officially supported 1 SERVER version up, and 1 down.

The EV10.x client supports EV-server version 9/10/11 (if and when 11 comes out)

Note I write 10.x

Any 10 version client is ok to use. There is no harm in using a higher level client. There might be some features in the new client that will not work when using it against a lower server version, but that is all explained in the compatibility guide (as Rob states). In addition to that, there should also be a 'readme.htm and an 'updates.htm' with the CHF which details what has been fixed.

Regards. Gertjan

MattChapman
Level 2

Thanks for the quick repsonse Rob.

I can see that 2013 is supported, but I knew that already.

I guess I was asking more if it's bad practise to use an Outlook client which is a higher version level than the server back end?

MattChapman
Level 2

Thanks GertjanA, exactly what I needed smiley

And thanks also for the quick response.

Matt

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

The highest version of Outlook you can use on the 'back end' is Outlook 2007.

Outlook 2010 nor Outlook 2013 are supported.

Working for cloudficient.com