cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vaulting Email Data Restructure Question

Denise_Ott
Level 2
Hi, I inherited support of our EV system a few years back, and have been maintaining it.  We are currently at EV 2007 SP3.  We do not have the Reporting component installed (yet).

When it was initially implemented, there was One policy only that was automatically enforced from the Mailbox down ... A Business Policy (for 11 years).  We manually enable clients for Vaulting.

No deletions were EVER run on this system before I inherited (and I have not run any yet since I cannot get a record of what will be deleted incase a client calls after the first run).

This means, that EVERYTHING is vaulted (after 4 weeks) for 11 years (and a tremendous amount of disk is being consumed) and nothing has been deleted yet.  A crude report I did get indicated 100,000 items had expired.

1.  Is there a way to do a removal of the items that have expired, but not actually deleted them?  I would want to do this for the first time only, since Nothing has ever been deleted just incase clients call and realize they needed something back.  Is this possible?

2.  Has anyone done a 'cleanup' or restructuring of the system such as adding in new policies, etc.  What approach was taken?
- we would want to add new folders with specific policies applied to these folders (via EVPM scripting ... does anyone have any examples?)
- clients would then move their unvaulted email into these folders based on the retentions they wish to have
- in the end, the existing old data would eventually be removed via expiry deletions
- there may be No policy at the top of the Mail box, or, possibly a policy with a very short retention period (how would I remove the top one?)

I am just beginning on this project and would appreciate any feedback, advice, etc. that I could get as to approach, etc.  I have not had any formal trying so all my knowledge is via subitting support cases or trial and error.  Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
"1. Is there a way to do a removal of the items that have expired, but not actually deleted them? I would want to do this for the first time only, since Nothing has ever been deleted just incase clients call and realize they needed something back. Is this possible?"

No, this is not possible.

"2. Has anyone done a 'cleanup' or restructuring of the system such as adding in new policies, etc. What approach was taken"
Yes, many add new policies and provision the mailboxes.

"- we would want to add new folders with specific policies applied to these folders (via EVPM scripting ... does anyone have any examples?)"
I have posted many on here, and there are loads of examples in the EVAdmin.chm guide.

"- clients would then move their unvaulted email into these folders based on the retentions they wish to have
"
I would recommend upgrading to v8 first. v8 has the ability to update meta-data e.g. user moves a shortcut from folder A to folder B.  Folder B has a different retention category, it will then update the archived item to use then new retention category.

"- in the end, the existing old data would eventually be removed via expiry deletions"
Not quite sure what you mean here.

"- there may be No policy at the top of the Mail box, or, possibly a policy with a very short retention period (how would I remove the top one?)"
Again, not sure what you mean by this?

--wayne

Denise_Ott
Level 2
Thanks Wayne for your reply,

"- in the end, the existing old data would eventually be removed via expiry deletions"
Sorry for the lack of clarity ... I think I have my answer though - When EV is upgraed to v. 8., then the customers could move the previously vaulted items into the new folders with the various retentions based on the retention they required so this would be taken care of.

"- there may be No policy at the top of the Mail box, or, possibly a policy with a very short retention period (how would I remove the top one?)"
I think I have my answer for that one ... Thanks tho.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
"1. Is there a way to do a removal of the items that have expired, but not actually deleted them? I would want to do this for the first time only, since Nothing has ever been deleted just incase clients call and realize they needed something back. Is this possible?"

Wouldn't deleted item retention help in this case?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
@ AndrewB

I cant see how that will help Denise as the mail is archived all over the mailbox, not just deleted items.  Maybe I misunderstood your post?

Denise_Ott
Level 2
Hi,

Yes, everything is vaulted all over the mailbox (except the Deleted folder). 

MichelZ
Level 6
I'm not sure if storage expiry is covered by the "dumpster" feature of EV. You could however delete shortcuts in the mailbox which are older than 11 years. Then, all data is still available in the archive, but users have to search for them. Maybe this would give you some insight if the data is still needed. Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.