cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault 9.0.2 server hangs with warning

Cdee
Level 6

Hi All,

I am observing a very weired issue with my EV 9.0.2 server, the server hangs intermittently and when looking at the system logs i see below warning.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W3SVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1010
Date:  2/13/2012
Time:  12:44:25 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: EVSERVER
Description:A process serving application pool 'EnterpriseVaultAppPool' failed to respond to a ping. The process id was '756'.

Tried finding about this but havent got any correct answer. Please help in finding the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So when it hangs, you said everything does right? So you can't RDP to the server right? The whole thing is just unresponsive? If its just IIS that isn't responding you may want to put DebugDiag to get some memory dumps when hang conditions occur But like John said, if It's the entire server it most likely not an EV issue but something memory related possibly, your best bet maybe contacting microsoft
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How do you recover from the hang, server reboot?  Is it a hard hang where you have to switch off the server, or is the keyboard still accessible?

If it is a hard hang, I doubt very much it is EV, most likely cause would be a filter driver, though, have you installed the FSA agent onto the EV server?

Need some more details.

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Expanding on John's questions:

- Regarding the Hang, does it eventually clear up or do you have to do anything specific to clear up the hang?

- Does the hangs appear to be application-based or system-based?

- Does the hangs occur randomly or during a certain time Window? (eg. between 12am and 1am)

- How many Websites and Virtual Directories are setup on the server?

- What version of the OS are you working with?

- Roughly how many users is this EV server handling?

- Are you utilizing Vault Cache or Virtual Vault?  If so, approx. what percent of the users?

Thanks!

Cdee
Level 6

Hi John and Chris,

Please find answers to your question below and thanks for helping me in this.

How do you recover from the hang, server reboot? 
The server hangs for approx 10 mins and it automatically comes out from hang mode.

Is it a hard hang where you have to switch off the server, or is the keyboard still accessible?
Server still remains pingable, no need to hard boot the server

have you installed the FSA agent onto the EV server?
No its just a mailbox archiving server.

- Regarding the Hang, does it eventually clear up or do you have to do anything specific to clear up the hang?
Yes it automatically moves out from hang mode without me doing anything.

- Does the hangs appear to be application-based or system-based?
It just hangs everything so i belive it is system as well but one thing  i would bring to your notice is that when the server hangs archive accessing from outlook and Archiveexplorer goes for a toss, and i see the above mentioned warning event int sys logs.

- Does the hangs occur randomly or during a certain time Window? (eg. between 12am and 1am)
Yeah it hangs randomly.

- How many Websites and Virtual Directories are setup on the server?
I see 2 website
1st is Default website which has Enterprise vault directory, FSAreporting, monitoring APP directory.
2nd is Windows Media Administration site 

- What version of the OS are you working with?
Windows 2003 Sp2 enterpise edition with 8 gb physical memory

- Roughly how many users is this EV server handling?
approx 4000 users

- Are you utilizing Vault Cache or Virtual Vault?  If so, approx. what percent of the users?
None of the above

Once again thanks for looking into this.

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Have you got any HTTPERR logs usually: (\Windows\System32\LogFiles\) 

Is this windows 2003?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So when it hangs, you said everything does right? So you can't RDP to the server right? The whole thing is just unresponsive? If its just IIS that isn't responding you may want to put DebugDiag to get some memory dumps when hang conditions occur But like John said, if It's the entire server it most likely not an EV issue but something memory related possibly, your best bet maybe contacting microsoft
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I've seen this on 2003/2008 servers. when you can rdp, verify in taskmanager the number of handles. (under Performance)

I've seen handles totalling 3000000. Usually a restart of the EV-services fixes this. But, if it is running, and no user-complaints, this might be an issue to investigate at quiet time?

Regards. Gertjan

Cdee
Level 6

It just hangs the whole screen and i wont be able to do anything even can't open task manager to see which process eating resources.

Yes RDP also freezes, after logging in in the warning comes up in syslogs also the handles under performance is shows me around 170000 handles

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

SInce it is a system hang and you have no FSA filterdrivers installed . . .and IIS is generating the error in the first place I would reccomend you pursue the issue through MSFT support as JW2 and others have suggested.