cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault Not Archiving mailboxes

LanceMa
Level 3

Hi All

Need your assistance on this one as I can’t seem to resolve the issue and have tried almost everything.

I have users that are based overseas some mailboxes archive but others don’t. What I have found is that Enterprise vault is hitting the mailboxes and processing the items but it not archiving the items. the items go into a Pending stat and immediately revert back to the original stat. what I have already done is ZAP the users archive and recreated it, Checked and confirmed that the policy are correct. added the ContinueOnMissingItemErrors, deleted outlook profiles. recreated Archive task, confirmed that the Partitions are not in Backup mode and the Safety copies are set to be removed immediately after archive best practice are in place

I even went as far as recording the issue so it makes more sense. if you look at the recording you will notice the items go into pending and disappear but if you need at the search folder to the bottom left you will see the number does not change even the enterprise vault message count do not go up

Please could you assist as I’m lost. ive also attached Dtrace logs and Recording

Environment is 
EV11.0.1 CHF5
OS Server 2012/R2
Outlook 2013

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I may have found the solution to my problem the mailbox contains corrupt items that are causing the loop and failing to continue with the remainder of the items in the mailbox. sadly the ContinueOnMissingItemErrors does not work in this environment for some strange reason and had to set the set failed messages 'Do not archive' in the policy. This will mark the corrupt items so they not processed again.

Non-corrupt items are now being processing as normal but will monitor as I don’t want to get my hopes up as yet. will update the post by EOB tomorrow

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Lance,

Are the affected mailboxes perhaps over quota somehow. If EV can't write (which is basically what it does when replacing the original with a shortcut) you'll see this behaviour.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertjan , thank you for your reply. We have extended the mailbox quota on these mailboxes already to make sure there is space to replace the original item with the stub so i dont know if that would be the issue. We are able to manually archive items and folder but the schedule archive do not seem to be working as it should just very strange

Here is the Excahnge Mailbox limite from SQL

MbxArchivingStateMbxExchangeStateExchangeMbxTypeMbxWarningLimitMbxSendLimitMbxReceiveLimitMbxSizeMbxItemCount

GertjanA

Hello again,

In Exchange Management Shell, can you do the below command for one of the affected mailboxes?

get-mailbox 'account' | FL

look at ProhibitSendQuota, ProhibitSendReceiveQuota, UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults, MaxSendSize, MaxReceiveSize. Maybe one of these is different than what you see in EV. You wrote you zapped the archive, have you also tried zapping the mailbox? This will remove the hidden message. Rerun provisioning, re-enable user, connect to existing archive.

If that also fails, you might need to involve support, as they can do better investigation online.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi

The following is set as 

ProhibitSendQuota : 7 GB (7,516,192,768 bytes)
ProhibitSendReceiveQuota : Unlimited
UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults : False
MaxSendSize : Unlimited
MaxReceiveSize : Unlimited

Unfortunately we are unable to request support from Veritas as they will not support the version currently installed as it EOS and have to upgrade to the latest version but nots not an option at the moment

Sorry I meant that I zapped the mailbox not the archive by using the following ini

[Directory]

DirectoryComputerName=
SiteName=EVDBNSITE

[Mailbox]
DistinguishedName =

[Folder]
Name = Mailboxroot
Enabled = True

GertjanA

ah yes, the joys of support :)

Let me check your tracefile, see if I can spot something strange.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi,

I may have found the solution to my problem the mailbox contains corrupt items that are causing the loop and failing to continue with the remainder of the items in the mailbox. sadly the ContinueOnMissingItemErrors does not work in this environment for some strange reason and had to set the set failed messages 'Do not archive' in the policy. This will mark the corrupt items so they not processed again.

Non-corrupt items are now being processing as normal but will monitor as I don’t want to get my hopes up as yet. will update the post by EOB tomorrow

GertjanA

Hi again,

I had some issues with posting last reply. here in short.

In your trace file, you see that a mailbox is not processed, because it is locked by another proces. My suggestion was to verify your MSMQ (A5) is clear, not showing any entries with 1,2 or 3 in front (which indicate retries). I also wanted to have you run a manual archiving run on that one mailbox.

Corrupt items was indeed last remark. I've seen items which seem to have corrupted attachments, **bleep**loads of recipients, or no sender (or date, which can be done by sending an item directly from the draftsfolder). Usually, EV handles these kind of things well.

Usually speaking, the corrupted items are the oldest in the mailbox :) To sort of verify them, try dragging them to the desktop, then back to the inbox. Mostly, this fails with errors.

But, you've found it yourself :)

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

This is how we found out that the items maybe corrupt is by trying to move the items to the desktop or pst and it failed. We are able to open and delete the items. note that this was done from the Enterprise vault server with the users mailbox and the items are from the same sender by the looks of it. We found the same items in the Journal "failed to copy" folder and ran the same test with the same results. Other items seems to be fine as we are able to move them.

What it strange is we ran the same test from the clients machine and had no issues with moving the items so I don’t know why this is. 

The mailbox seems to be processing fine after the changes made to the policy to mark do not archive corrupt item