Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault client Login - Shared Mailbox/Archive

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Hello

We're testing Macintosh EV client in our environment with EV client for Mac 10.0.3 and EV server 9.0.4 CU3. The client is able to login and work as expected for primary mailbox, however it is unable to login for shared mailbox/archive even though primary account has full access to mailbox and archive.

Below is the error received when trying to login to shared archive/mailbox using primary mailbox credentials:

Capture.JPG

I am guessing it needs some additional permissions to sign in to shared mailbox or EWS impersonation on Exchange 2010 side perhaps? If anyone encountered similar issue please?

Tried to look through technotes and forums but couldn't find any (probably my bad search skills lol) and no mention of shared mailbox in EV client for Mac documentation either. :S

Thanks for your inputs in advance !

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

TechNote mentioned by Advisor is Internal and don't think so it accessible from externally :

Below is steps from TechNote : TECH175798

The following messages appear in the Enterprise Vault log when desktop settings updating starts:

2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Recieved Desktop Update Notification

2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Trying to update DesktopSettings for user u1_2k10
2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Cached DesktopSettings are expired, User credentials available

2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Fetching new DesktopSettings from server

2.Further steps of downloading desktop settings are exactly the same as for Login Action.

3.The following messages appear in the Enterprise Vault log after the desktop settings have been updated:

2011-11-28 12:35:50 +0530 : DesktopSettings successfully downloaded from exchange server, Saving it.
2011-11-28 12:35:50 +0530 : Successfully updated the DesktopSettings

View solution in original post

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the Compatibility Guide you will find this:

The Enterprise Vault OWA Extensions are not supported for OWA client access from Safari or Firefox.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Whats the version of MAC OS and Entourage/Outlook client?

AKL
Level 6
Certified

My apologies, forgot to include same. Below are other details as requested:

• OS version - 10.7.5
  • Outlook version - 14.3.6
  • Exchange version - Exchange 2010 SP2 UR3

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hmm.. compatibility guide says only upto Outlook 2011 14.0.0 SP2 is supported.

Does 14.3.6 mean 14.0.0 SP3?

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

You can refer Latest Compatibility List :

Enterprise Vault Compatibility List
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38537

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Does the console give any client logging per chance?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Hello

Sorry but the issue happens with 14.1 and 14.2 clients as well, in addition EV client is working fine with primary mailbox, only issue with shared mailbox/archive, so I don't think it is compatibility issue.

Yes, there are client logs generated while EV client tries to login, basically indicating that it is trying to sign in as SharedUser account via exchange using different combinations of EWS URLs but is unable to do so. I will try to paste the log lines shortly.

Thanks !

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Please find complete EV client session & associated log file attached. 

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The problem is here:

2013-07-17 13:54:51 +0000 : Entering : DecodeUnicodeData()
2013-07-17 13:54:51 +0000 : Exiting : DecodeUnicodeData()
2013-07-17 13:54:51 +0000 : Unable to decode desktop settings.
2013-07-17 13:54:51 +0000 : Exiting - [ExchangeServer getDesktopSettingsUsingEWSwithError:]
2013-07-17 13:54:51 +0000 : Exiting desktop setting from Exchange 2010

As per this article, it should say Successfully updated desktop settings after opening the attachment from hidden message. But It fails to decode the attachment.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175798

Could it be corrupt hidden message? Can you try zaping the mailbox?

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

TechNote mentioned by Advisor is Internal and don't think so it accessible from externally :

Below is steps from TechNote : TECH175798

The following messages appear in the Enterprise Vault log when desktop settings updating starts:

2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Recieved Desktop Update Notification

2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Trying to update DesktopSettings for user u1_2k10
2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Cached DesktopSettings are expired, User credentials available

2011-11-28 12:35:49 +0530 : Fetching new DesktopSettings from server

2.Further steps of downloading desktop settings are exactly the same as for Login Action.

3.The following messages appear in the Enterprise Vault log after the desktop settings have been updated:

2011-11-28 12:35:50 +0530 : DesktopSettings successfully downloaded from exchange server, Saving it.
2011-11-28 12:35:50 +0530 : Successfully updated the DesktopSettings

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks guys. I've disabled - zapped - enabled the shared mailbox as suggested but will be able to post results tomorrow.

Meanwhile if any other ideas please? Theoritically if hidden message is corrupt or other issue, the issue is seen on Windows side as well, but the issue was not seen on Windows side.

Does EV Client for Mac supports shared archive/mailbox? And if any special requirements for same beside full access to mailbox?

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Sorry, no good news my friends. Basically same error and same log lines. Updated log file attached.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Even I am getting this feeling now : "Does EV Client for Mac supports shared archive/mailbox?"

I will see if I can extract more information about this.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I further researched on this scenario, I found that shared mailbox support has been logged as enhancement with engineering team. So the current versions of EV does not support shared mailbox for MAC client.

You might get this feature in future releases.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

<sigh> I guess will need to come up with a workaround for now. Quick question out of the main stream, I am using OWA 9.0.4 extensions with Safari 6.0.5 however I do not see archive explorer/search archive options in OWA.

Is it compatible? or should i try to update OWA extensions to 10.0.3?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In the Compatibility Guide you will find this:

The Enterprise Vault OWA Extensions are not supported for OWA client access from Safari or Firefox.

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Drats, thanks Tony, Sorry not sure how I missed that. Will have to wait for shared archive/mailbox support with EV client for Mac.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

HI AKL,

Answer for Second question-

Hidden message does not load correctly in case broswer is non-IE for OWA access, It throw error in log.

[EVContext::IsValidBrowser] Returning: False

Archive Explore only works with IE. So option in toolbar/menu bar is not available, even you can not access via safari directly (http:///ev/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp).

Support for Safari is on road map as per link, http://www.symantec.com/connect/ideas/enterprise-vault-support-safari-firefox-and-iphone-ipad-devices

Workaround for first question

As it already informed that delegated/shared mailbox does not work however I have honestly never tried  in lab but I can suggest below workaround as tested long time back.

When you click on search option (tool bar option or menu option, provided the desktop policy allow that), it opens IE & load browser search where user need to provide credential those can be saved in key chain, Now user should be able to view both the archives (primary & secondary or shared) so the archived emails can be accessed. Users can see non-archived mails from OL and archived from search (clearly undestand much efforts for user).

Secondary You can also think to install OL 2011 on top of Entouge and create OL profile (primary in OL, secondary in Entourge or vice versa) and login separtely.

Then need to change usage of OL with EV from preference pane as attached screenshot. (old screenshot you would have option for Outlook 2011 & entourage).

Please let us know if this is feasible otherwise and update enhancement portal.

Regards

EV-Counselor

AKL
Level 6
Certified

Thanks EV counselor, its bit complicated workaround from end user perspective but surely will provide them steps on how to do same.

For archive explorer not working in Safari, in compatibility guide for EV it says EV works with Safari 6.0 if we've EV 9.0.4 and later service pack installed or EV 10.0.3. So out of curiosity, which component of EV works in these web browser that's suggested in compatibility guide?

Regarding "update enhancement portal", you mean like submit an idea post about support of shared mailbox with EV client for Mac? (given I belive engineering team is already working on same?)

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

But engineering team awaits for business justification, if less people wants this feature then longer it takes to include. The enhancements are reviewed and decision is taken by engineering team.