Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Moving MSMQ Queues in Windows 2008 R2

AG81
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello to all,

I'm moving the MSMQ queues in a W2K8 R2 Server. I'm regarding this article http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53243 and this forum discussion https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/message-queuing-unable-start-service-netmsmqactivator

I modified the persmissions at the destination folders (see the commands and the results)

D:\>icacls D:\MSMQ\storage  /grant "NT SERVICE\MSMQ":(F)
processed file: D:\MSMQ\storage
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

I've changed the location to D:\MSMQ\storage at the tree fields in the storage tab at MSMQ Queuing properties:
- MESSAGE FILES FOLDER: D:\MSMQ\storage
- MESSAGE LOGGER FOLDER: D:\MSMQ\storage
- TRANSACTION LOGGER FOLDER: D:\MSMQ\storage

But when i go to services console and want to start the Message Queuing service I get this error

"Windows could not start the Message Queuing service on local Computer
Error 0x80070005: Access is denied"

Any Idea?

Thnak you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AG81
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello

Finally I revert the newEV Machine to the original Snapshot and followed the TECH53243 Steps at once. Addittionallhy granted permissions at the D:\MSMQ folder like LCT sayd in the post.

Now all worked fine...

The Steps followed:

1. Take Message queuing offline within Server Manager
2. Take Message Queuing Service offline
3. Assingned permissions in D:\MSMQ to EVAdmin and NT Service users
4. Change the storage file path to D:\MSMQ at:
     - MESSAGE FILES FOLDER: D:\MSMQ
     - MESSAGE LOGGER FOLDER: D:\MSMQ
     - TRANSACTION LOGGER FOLDER: D:\MSMQ
5. Bring Message Queuing service online
6. Bring Message Queuing online within Server Manager
7. Validate D:\MSMQ location for newly created files (LQS folder and approx 5 other LG* files)

@TonySterling, excuse me but I cant tell you what are de ID errors in Event Viewer because I've reverted to an older snapshot the server.

Than you!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

were all the queues clear before you started this? were you experiencing any symptoms before you changed the permissions on the new path?

you might just want to uninstall msmq, rename d:\msmq to d:\msmq.old, reinstall, create a new folder for the root path (aka, D:\MSMQ), go to server manager, properties on msmq, update the 3 locations like you did before, click ok

AG81
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi AndrewB,

The MSMQ are empty because I've just installed the server. I'm preparing it to a EV10 migration (from 9.0.3 under a server W2k3 32 bits to this W2k8 R2).

For this reason i don't understand why its not working the change location of the MSMQ queues...

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is the error in the Application log when you restart the messaging queue service?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

probably didnt need to change the icacls since it was a brand new server and you werent experiencing any of the issues in the technote. you create the new d:\msmq and when you change the path in the msmq properties, it creates the msmq\storage folder itself

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

just a sanity check...have you manually added Ev service account and Network Services to the MSMQ folder and grant then Full Control at the new location?

AG81
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello

Finally I revert the newEV Machine to the original Snapshot and followed the TECH53243 Steps at once. Addittionallhy granted permissions at the D:\MSMQ folder like LCT sayd in the post.

Now all worked fine...

The Steps followed:

1. Take Message queuing offline within Server Manager
2. Take Message Queuing Service offline
3. Assingned permissions in D:\MSMQ to EVAdmin and NT Service users
4. Change the storage file path to D:\MSMQ at:
     - MESSAGE FILES FOLDER: D:\MSMQ
     - MESSAGE LOGGER FOLDER: D:\MSMQ
     - TRANSACTION LOGGER FOLDER: D:\MSMQ
5. Bring Message Queuing service online
6. Bring Message Queuing online within Server Manager
7. Validate D:\MSMQ location for newly created files (LQS folder and approx 5 other LG* files)

@TonySterling, excuse me but I cant tell you what are de ID errors in Event Viewer because I've reverted to an older snapshot the server.

Than you!