cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evault 10.0.4 to Evault 12.0.01 upgrade

rbollinger1212
Level 4

Hey Team,

We need to upgrade our rather large evault enviornment from 10.0.4 to 12.0.01. Currently we're running Windows 2008 R2. I would like to get an idea as to how difficult this process would be. Here is what we want to do:

1) Upgrade/Migrate to Windows 2012 R2 (New Hardware)

2) Upgrade/Migrate to Evault 12

3) Upgrade our discovery accelerator to the latest version as well.

We will be supporting Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2013. We are currently in the process of migrating from 2010 to 2013 but we are not there yet.

I found some good documentation and some migration wizards https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000062955 but i dont see any direct migrations from EVault 10 to to EVault 12. Additionally we want to upgrade our Current version (2008) of SQL to 2012 or 2014.

Can someone provide a basic overview of the process, and mostly answer if we should install on new hardware (windows 2012, which is what we want to do) or try to do an inplace upgrade using 2008 (prefer not to).

Additionally how would we go about migrating all of the servers settings from 2008 r2 + EV10 to 2012 R2 + EV12.

Thanks,

Robert

3 REPLIES 3

JRuss
Level 3
Employee

Hi Robert,

If you have not upgraded Enterprise Vault before it can be a bit of a bear when going multiple versions. Going from EV 10.0.4 will require going to a version of EV 11 and then to EV 12. With EV upgrades its all about the pre-work and planning.

Note that there is not an Server Settings Migration wizard from EV 10 -> 11.

Here are some High level steps to get you started.

1.  Review the supported EV upgrade paths
    https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000080843

2.  Select the appropriate upgrade path path, for example:
    If an EV server was on 10.0.4, the general upgrade path would be 10.0.4 -> 11.0.1 -> 12.0.  Since you have Discovery Accelerator (DA), you have to take into account that the EV version can not be greater than DA. The upgrade path would then be a direct upgrade to DA version 12 and then an upgrade the EV servers from 10.0.4 -> 11.0.1 -> 12.0.

3.  Review the Compatibility guide for the requirements of each version of EV
    https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000097605

4. Create a strategy for upgrading, for example:
    EV 11.0.1 can be installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 and can use SQL 2008 R2 x64. EV 12 requires Windows 2012 and SQL 2012, which will require new OS's. 

Generally speaking, in your case I would suggest the following:

A. Backup all of EV
      B. Setup a new SQL 2012 or SQL 2014 that meets EV requirements
      C. Upgrade DA to DA 12.0.2 , moving the DA databases to the new SQL instance
      D. Upgrade EV to 11.0.1 CHF5 in place on exising servers
      E. Create new servers Win2012
      F. Move the EV servers to new hardware, manually or utilizing the EV 12 server settings migration wizard
              https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000062955
      G. Confirm Functionality of the Enterprise Vault System

5. Consult each EV versions' upgrade guide to ensure all the required steps are being followed.

Remember that these are only high level steps, ensure that you consult the upgrade guides for each individual version.

Hope this helps!

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Rob

Jruss has added some relevant points in detail , I want to add some personal insights to that

I have done many projects at different customers that had the same objectives and most EV consultants will have there own methodology and approach for these types of projects. So for me this is how I would go about your tasks

1. Because you upgrading 2 versions of EV remember the EV client is only compatible with one version higher or lower. So I would first upgrade all your EV clients to EV 11, this will work with EV 10 and EV 12 on the server level
  2. Break this work into a series of weekends, seriously only do one major task each weekend so based on your tasks I would spread the work over 3-4 weekends
  3. First do the server move to new hardware, I never use the Wizard and use the manual process
  4. Then upgrade to  EV 11 
  5. Then upgrade to EV 12
  6. Then move the SQL server

I can go into more detail or if you want we can chat about this work, send me a PM if you want :)

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

take a good look, it is for example recommended to upgrade to 11.0.1 like it was explained.

Also remember to upgrade the databases corresponding.

You will also have the new EV search afterwards.

I also recommend to test functionality before you upgrade from 10 to 11.