Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event 3433, 3438, 2270 for some items

rasobey
Level 5

Morning all,

EV 10.0.3.

Following on from my previous discussion about disabling Drafts archiving to fix a lot of these errors, I am left with several users with items in Sent Items / Calendar etc which EV cannot process. These errors are in the event log with IDs 3433, 3438 and 2270 sequentially. E.g 3438:

Failed to process a message. This message will not be archived and could not be changed back from the Archive Pending state. This problem can occur when a message has large numbers of recipients or attachments. 

Message title: Career planning course 

Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for <>
Mailbox: <>
Folder: Sent Items 
Error code: 0x00000000 

From what I can tell, the message was never archived - it is sandwiched in a normal state between other archived items. The message itself was sent to four distribution groups, each containing 25-75 recipients. The DL was hosted in the user's personal contacts.

Now I understand the warning says "This problem can occur when a message has large numbers of recipients" but how can I say "OK, I acknolwedge this, don't fill my event log with stuff that I cannot resolve?" Short of deleting the message, which is not in my customer's best interests.

Does 10.0.4 fix this issue, does anyone know? Is there another workaround perhaps?

Many thanks

Richard
8 REPLIES 8

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would suggest logging a support case for this issue. This issue has been observed in 10.0.4 also. You need to raise a call in order to support the existing known problem, for engineering to faster resolve it using the business justification.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I found the EV 10.0.3 Cumulative Hotfix 2 for Large Number of recipients cause archiving.

Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 Cumulative Hotfix 2 Release
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205731

You can first read the "ReadMe " and "Installation Instruction" and install hotfix. The above article having download media.

You can also Use MaxNumOfRecipients to Sets a maximum number of recipients.

On a 32-bit installation of Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
 \SOFTWARE
  \KVS
   \Enterprise Vault
    \Agents

On a 64-bit installation of Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
 \SOFTWARE
  \Wow6432Node
   \KVS
    \Enterprise Vault
     \Agents

Description

Sets a maximum number of recipients. If a message has more recipients than this, it is not archived.

Opening the message to check the number of recipients results in a performance hit, so the number of recipients is ignored unless the message is bigger than the size set in SkipRecipCheckSize.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Do you have custom filtering enabled? If so, do you see any other errors related to custom filtering in the event log, such as 'An error occurred processing the external filter 'EnterpriseVault.CustomFilter'' ? We have seen exceptions like this with custom filtering enabled. If that's the case, then you need to open a ticket with support as Advisor suggested.

I hope this helps.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Is your issue is fixed / resolved ?

rasobey
Level 5

All,

Thank you for your reply.

Ajay: I have not yet had a chance to review your suggestion. It looks like it would help with some of them though. Perhaps I'll try today.

GabeV - we do not use custom filtering.

Advisor - yes, a support call is probably the way we will go if implementing the reg key for MaxRecipients does not do the trick.

Richard

rasobey
Level 5

Ajay,

Hmm, I don't think this will apply to me. EV is fine with archiving messages that were sent to our entire staff base, just shy of 10,000, so this registry key must only apply where there are more than 5000 individual recipients, is that correct?

Some of the items experiencing this problem are simple Calendar appointments with no more than 10-20 recipients.

Richard

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are there any DL's in the recipients which might have some other DL's as members.

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I found the EV 10.0.3 Cumulative Hotfix 2 for Large Number of recipients cause archiving.

Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 Cumulative Hotfix 2 Release
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205731