Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event 8229 when upgrading to EV 8 SP3

Poly
Level 3
Hi

I'm planning to migrate me EV env from 7.5 SP3 to 8 SP3

Since my env is installed on microsoft cluster env, I'm doing the upgrade in the lab first.

During the upgrade, after getting the "event 8576" that sais "The Directory service has completed the automatic upgrade of the EnterpriseVaultDirectory Database", I'm supposed to bring up the Admin and Directory services resources online, and start the Enterprise Vault Configuration and press next in the only option that is : "upgrade this configuration".

what happens is that I press the NEXT button but it is being pressed and then goes back up as if it wasn't presses at all, and i get 3 events ID's of 8229 that are saying:

DirectoryService: Invoke (GetIDsOfNames) maximun number of tries excedeed: : 3

and nothing happens.

I did everything written here, but nothing helps.

6 REPLIES 6

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner
Does any one have a SQL query open or running against EV?

Poly
Level 3

even rebooted the SQL services and the EV services to be sure...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Can you explain your setup a bit more ?
OS version(s) and SQL version?

Poly
Level 3
I have EV version 7.5 SP3 installes on two microsoft servers in a clustered enviroment.

the servers are 2003 ent R2 SP2

I've installled the same env in my LAB and trying to upgrade the EV from version 7.5 to version 8 (SP3).

I'm doing the upgrade with the Symantec white paper, and going through step by step.

I got to the point where I'm supposed to open the "enterprise Vault Configuration" wizard and press next on the option "upgrade this configuration".

what basically happens is the I press the button, you can see it's being pressed and then goes back up, and I get 3 event ID's of 8229 that say : "DirectoryService: Invoke (GetIDsOfNames) maximun number of tries excedeed: : 3"

and nothing happens.

I looked at all the articles that are related to event 8229 but found nothing that helps me continue... 
No SQL stuck processes, no problem with the "v" checked in explorer's publisher or any other ideas that I saw...

any other idea will be highly appriciated.

i do not want to get to the poing when I try to upgrade in PROD env and stay stuck in this process...

thanks.

Poly.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner
Try a dtrace of the directory service and post the results

Batmanfail
Level 4
Take it u have installed binaries on the second node and started Admin service?  See this forum post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ev-75-sp3-ev-80-sp4-cluster-upgrade