cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID: 2243, Could not scan user mailbox * DON'T REMOVE MY THREAD *

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
I installed EV6 SP2 to archive emails in Exchange 5.5 server. When I run the task it reported an error "Event ID: 2243, Could not scan user mailbox, /O=xxx............., cannot list messages". It is OK if I manual archive emails from Outlook XP.
15 REPLIES 15

W_Wintermute
Level 4
The Event ID is pretty generic, so you could get more information, performing a dtrace of the Archiving Task, while those 2243 Event IDs are appearing in your Enterprise Vault Applicaiton Log.

Within the Dtrace, an EV~E corresponds to an error and EV~W corresponds to a warning. So if you capture this error in the dtrace and then scroll up a bit, you might be able to determine why it's occurring. Make sure the thread number is consistent - they'll be enclosed in a <>

For example, if you are look at three lines in a trace, the line in the middle, thread 1002, is not part of the thread that generated the error, 1000 is the thread we focus on.

<1000> xxxxxxxxx
<1002> xxxxxxxx
<1000> EV~E xxxxx

Since it's Ex5.5, make sure that the Vault Admin account has the appropriate permissions at the Site and Configuration Level.

Is this error being generated for all of the Exchange Mailboxes on that Exchange 5.5 Server or just a few? If all, it may be a permissions issue, a problem with the EV system mailbox for that Exchane 5.5 server, or MAPI. If just a few, check for anything unusual about those mailboxes. For example, are they hidden? disabled? etc?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
Is it happening to just one mailbox or lots?
If only one mailbox and others are fine then that suggests it's not permission related.
If it is not a permissions issue, it may be that the mailbox is 'corrupt' in some way (that's not to say the user cannot log in).
Also check that there are no email messages in the very root of the mailbox (ie not in any actual folder). I've seen that cause issues now and again.

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
I found that the problem is caused by a mailbox. The mailbox contains some sub-folders (and sub-sub-folders) in Inbox. Why EV can't archive the emails in sub-folders?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Bryan,

It can. Get the dtrace to us so we can help you understand what's really going on?

micah

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
Thanks Micah. How can I send the dtrace log to you? It's about 1.58Mb in Excel format.

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
Thanks Micah. How can I send the dtrace log file to you? It's around 1.58Mb in Excel format.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
i sorta meant publishing it in a quote. I don't think I'm "allowed" to play support person by checking in to your actual logfile for you individually. Post it here tho and we'll all take a quick look.

micah

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
Here is the extract of the dtrace log file. I think this is where the problem is:

<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::GFSFMO - Using folder pathname to open folder
<7212>EV:MMAPICommon::GetFixed_PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME() - Reading PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME
<7212>EV:MMAPICommon::GetFixed_PR_FOLDER_PATHNAME() - Setting output parameter
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::GFS(???) - Current folder is using parent folder archiveVEID
<7212>EV:MCBaseDirectoryServiceWrapper::CreateDirectoryService(): Using local directory connection
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::GFS(???) folder path and database path match - no need to synchronise
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::GFS(???) - Synchronising folder permissions
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::SFP(???) - Synchronising owning mailbox permissions to folder object
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::SFP(???) - using cached user
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::SFP(???) - Opening PR_ACL_TABLE
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::SFP(???) - add permissions to dacl
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::APTEVD(???) - Adding SID to Security Descriptor, Grant Mask = 0x0000007F, Deny

Mask = 0x00000000
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::SFP(???) - Set the dacl in the security descriptor
<7212>EV:MCSynchHelper::SFP(???) - Not updating security descriptor in the database as it hasn't changed
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::GFSFMO - Using folder pathname to open folder
<7212>EV:MHRXEX fn trace :|Source : \Agents\AgentsCommon\FolderHelper.cpp (CFolderHelper::GetFolderSettingsForManualOperation) built Feb 26 23:02:13 2006|Description: Call error 0x800b0001
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::GFSFMO() - Error 0x800B0001|Internal:\Agents\AgentsCommon\FolderHelper.cpp

(CFolderHelper::GetFolderSettingsForManualOperation) built Feb 26 23:02:13 2006
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::CreateArchiveFolderHierarchy Call to GetFolderSettingsForManualOperation returned
<7212>EV:MCFolderHelper::CreateArchiveFolderHierarchy - Exit
<7212>EV:MCArchivingAgent::processChunkOfMessages - Call to CreateArchiveFolderHierarchy Failed
<7212>EV~ECould not scan user mailbox /O=CHIU & PARTNERS/OU=CAPLAW.COM.HK/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=LYT, cannot list messages |
<7212>EV:MCArchivingAgent::processMessages() - Could not scan user mailbox /O=CHIU & PARTNERS/OU=CAPLAW.COM.HK/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=LYT,

cannot list messages

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Obviously EV doesn't like this folder...
<7212> EV:M CFolderHelper::GFSFMO - Using folder pathname to open folder

What does the actual folder path look like.

W_Wintermute
Level 4
There used to be a problem where a similar error would be generated if we found a \ in an Exchange 5.5 folder name. There was a hotfix that was created to resolve this in 5.0, and I'm sure that would have been rolled into 6.0.

However, I would doublecheck within the mailbox of /O=CHIU & PARTNERS/OU=CAPLAW.COM.HK/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=LYT and look at the folder names. Are there any backslashes in the folder names? Are there any folders with duplicate folder names? Foreign language characters, etc.?

You may want to go ahead and open a case with Support on this one.

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
Actually, the name "???" is a Chinese folder name which is equal to "inbox". The folder path is like the following:

收件匣
|---- Archive
:
:

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
"2003" and "2004" are sub-folder of "Archive". "Archive" is sub-folder of "收件匣" (Inbox).

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
There are no backslashe in any of my folders' name. It do have duplicate folder name but they are under different folder and some of the folders is using Chinese language.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Is this background (automatic archiving) I presume?
I would create another folder (with Engish name) and then create a folder with Chinese name for Inbox below it and see if you get the problem.
If so sounds like a possible bug and you should contact Symantec support.

Bryan_Tang_2
Level 4
Thanks Dodo. Yes, it is scheduled automatic archiving. I found that I didn't have problem if the top folder is naming in English. I think it is a bug.