We had a crash in our systems where we got a mismatch between our database information and the saved files(DVS files).
The database lost info about the saveset for two weeks. Everything archived before and after this period is ok,
When users tries to open an arhived e-mail archived from in these weeks, they got the message " The requested item is no longer in the Vault" and Event ID 6287 shows up in the Event Viewer.
Is there a tool run or a solution to get these weeks back.
This depends on a few things. Firstly what version of EV are you running? Have you got collections turned on.
There are some tools available however there are some limitations pre EV8. With EV8 there is a new tool named EVSVR that at present only reports, but in EV8 SP2 due in about a months time it will repair as well.
The upgrade to EV 8 SP2 went well. I do not know this new tool EVSVR and how I can use it o sync up the SQL database against the .dvs partition area.
After the upgrade to EV 8 SP2 we got this error when trying to open an dvs file from the EV server:
"Could not show this item. Please try again; if it still fails, contact your Enterprise Vault administrator."
Searching for this error I found this: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/296572.htm
But there is no solution. And regarding to this article you should only get ths kind of error when you run Outlook 203 SP3 or Outlook 2007 SP1. We are running Oulook 2003 SP2. This was not a problem in EV 8 SP1. Have also checked with another company which also have upgraded to EV 8 SP2 and they have the same problerm. This i s a bug in EV8 SP2.
You should be able to run EVSVR and the operation to perform would be Repair and the Option would be RecreateMissingDBReferences. This is indeed if your only problem is missing saveset entries in the database. A syou know the date range you can even choose that date range to process only