cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event ID 6609 - PST file access error occured

forkbox
Level 2

On my EV server for mail archiving and PST processing I'm getting Event IDs 6609, 9596, and 6592 hundreds of times a day.  I found the following article about how to resolve 6609s however it is very labor intensive considering I'm dealin with thousands of PSTs.  

Has someone out there more savy at coding written something to automate this process? I need something that will take all ANSI PSTs and convert them to unicode PSTs. 

I noticed also in the products affect that it lists only through 8.0 SP4 however I'm running 8.0 SP5 with plenty of problems.  Has this been resolved in 9 or will it be in 10?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51079

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Have you determined that you're getting EXACTLY the same as in the technote?  Event log messages the same (not just the ID), DTRACE the same?  Large PST files?

How is your PST policy configured?  Does it have the option set to create shortcuts in the mailbox? (Because the shortcuts are actually created in the PST first, then moved to the mailbox right at the end).

The issue described in the technote is largely out of Enterprise Vault control.  It's a "old style" PST close to the 2 Gb limit, and by adding the shortcuts to the PST, it's taking it over the limit.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Have you determined that you're getting EXACTLY the same as in the technote?  Event log messages the same (not just the ID), DTRACE the same?  Large PST files?

How is your PST policy configured?  Does it have the option set to create shortcuts in the mailbox? (Because the shortcuts are actually created in the PST first, then moved to the mailbox right at the end).

The issue described in the technote is largely out of Enterprise Vault control.  It's a "old style" PST close to the 2 Gb limit, and by adding the shortcuts to the PST, it's taking it over the limit.

Working for cloudficient.com

DanClark
Level 3
Partner

Depending on how large your problem is, TransVault Insight has a "Compress Command" coming, which checks the integrity of all PST files in the enterprise, converts them to Unicode (removing the size limitation), and reduces the space each PST file consumes (i.e. removing whitespace).

However, for a more effecitve solution, Insight will also shortly be able to migrate directly into Enterprise Vault - and create the shortcuts in the mailbox directly (without putting them in the PST first, and therefore removing this problem for you). It's a 3rd party product - so it really depends how big your headache is and how fast you want to solve the problem.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You could also look at Glasshouse PST Flightdeck which is a full featured pst import app such as Transvault There are also products from Vault Solutions as well that do a fully automated pst migration solution
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146