cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003: Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP2. Process to move mailbox to another exchange 2003 server

knoxvegas
Level 4
Is there a doc explaining the process to move mailboxes to another Exchange server.  We are running Exchange 2003 and running EV 8 SP2.   I'm looking to build another Exchange 2003 server and I will need to move the mailboxes(these mailboxes have been archived) to it.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Will the new Exchange server be associated with the same EV server?

Have a read of this:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284956.htm

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Will the new Exchange server be associated with the same EV server?

Have a read of this:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284956.htm

knoxvegas
Level 4
Do you know if I need to disable the user's mailbox for archiving on the EV server before moving?  I seen that posted some places, but it don't mention it in the guide.

knoxvegas
Level 4
Yes it will be associated with the same EV server

TonySterling
No, you do not need to disable the mailbox any longer.

MSEBlogger
Level 2
Partner

Hi Tony,

I read http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284956.htm as you previously linked, and am a little unclear on the below extract from it:

"Give SynchInMigrationMode a value of 1 to make EV assign new mailboxes to archives that are associated with the same legacyMbxDN values.

Give SynchInMigrationMode a value of 0 to use the default behavior, in which EV does not assign new mailboxes to archives that are associated with the same legacyMbxDN values."

We have EV 8-0 SP2.  We need to move mailboxes from one Exchange 2000 Server to another Exchange 2007 server within the same Exchange organization.  Do we:

a) Still need to set the 'SyncInMigrationMode' DWORD mentioned above?
b) If so, do we assign a value of 0 or 1 to the value for our scenario?

The extract mentions "assigning new mailboxes to archives", which does not really make sense to me in the context of moving mailboxes.  If you could clarify what we need to do, I would be very much obliged.

Thanks and Regards

TonySterling
I would recommend setting the key to 1 and following the rest of the steps listed.

Regards,
Tony

MSEBlogger
Level 2
Partner
Thanks for the prompt response.

We already have archiving setup in both Exchange 2000 and 2007 simultaneously, so all the pre-requisites and other steps should be in place to make this happen.  i.e. duplicate archiving tasks, duplicate targets, single provisioning task, all permissions set and working in both Exchange servers.  The tests that we have carried out so far, involved disabling a user for archiving, moving the maibox, then re-enabling it for archiving (as per old guidance).  This works just fine.  However, I would like to simplify process as much as possible for the bulk migration in a week or so.

To that end, I assume that the only steps left to do are?:

a) The registry change listed above
b) Move the mailbox
c) Sync the users on the new server using the synchronization tab.

If so, we have two mailbox archiving tasks; one for Exchange 2000 and one for Exchange 2007 - will we need to manually force a sync via the Exchange 2000 mailbox archiving task also, or just the Exchange 2007 task once the mailbox has been moved?

Many thanks again.