cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2013 install in Exchange 2007 with Enterprise Vault 8 sp3

Marf1
Level 2

Hi all,

our customer want to migrate to Exchange 2013, and move Enterprise Vault 8 sp3 Archives to Exchange 2013 online archive.

What we want to know is if installing an exchange 2013 in our enviroment we can experience any issue with enterprise vaul.

in the end we want to decomission exchange 2007 and EV.

Regards

Daniele

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Daniele, EV 8 wont work with Exchange 2013. You'll need to upgrade EV if you want to maintain compatibility with your Exchange upgrade and then migrate the data using a migration tool like TransVault. Alternatively, if you left EV at version 8, your users could still access their items using Archive Explorer or the EV search page but that's not as easy as double clicking on a shortcut or having virtual vault like they might be used to.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yep, Andrew is correct.  If you check the Compatability doc you will see EV 8 won't work with Exchange 2013: Support Compatibility Guide

Your options are to upgrade EV to work with 2013 and then let the data "fade away" if you are doing Expiry or use a migration tool like Archive Shuttle to migrate from EV to Exchange 2013 Archive mailboxes.

best,

Marf1
Level 2

Thanks for yours reply:

What i want to do is export EV archives to PST and then import in exchange online archive. i don't want provide users access to their data via enterprise vault 8 and exchange 2013.

To be clear

Exchange 2007 with EV8 -> Introduction of an exchange 2013 in enviroment -> Move of Exchange 2007 mailbox to 2013 server -> Move EV Archives via PST to Exchange 2013 Online Archive -> Decommisioning of Exchange 2007 and EV8

Again, i don't want allow users to use EV during the move, my concern is only that EV see the Exchange 2013 and this could stop it to work or something else.

P

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So you can do this manually, but it could be a long and labor intensive process.  How many users and how much data do you have?  EV 8 will not know about the Exchange 2013 environment, so you need not worry about that.  What will happen though is if your users have shortcuts to archived items and you move them to Exchange 2013 they will stop working.  So you need to plan to clean that up.  Our product handles all those bits automatically.  :)

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

like i said, EV 8 isn't supported with and it wont know about Exchange 2013