cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Database where Journal Mailbox resides started growing unexpectedly

stullier
Level 4

We had an issue a few weeks ago where the Exchange database (MDB3) where the Journal Mailbox resides started experiencing higher-than-normal growth.

We moved the Journal Mailbox to a new database (MDB4) and the problem moved to that database.

We deleted the journal task, target, and mailbox account and created a new one, on a new Exchange Server, on a seperate database (MDB6) and the problem started there.

Finally, I created a new Exchange Database (MJDB) solely to house the Journal Mailbox.  It continues to grow.

The size of the Journal Mailbox is consistently ~50 to ~100MB, depending on the time of day as items come in and are archived.  However, the AttachmentTable associated with the mailbox has been growing since day one.  It currently stands at about 15GB.

We have looked throughout our environment and cannot identify any change that occured around that time.  No policy changes, no settings changes, etc.  As I am the primary Exchange Admin and the Enterprise Vault Admin, I usually am aware when this happens.

We have a case open with both Veritas and Microsoft to help identify what is going on.  Has anyone else experienced this before?

Our environment:

Windows 2012 R2 servers

Exchange 2013 CU9 Enterprise

Enterprise Vault 10.0.4

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You say this started a few weeks ago.. So...

before that was it ok?

what was installed around that time in the way of Windows or exchange fixes?

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

do you have legal hold enabled in Exchange?

p.s. you need to at least be on CHF3 https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH215093

stullier
Level 4

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the late reply.  No Windows or Exchange Fixes were applied.  Shortly after posting this, the growth stopped.  Things have returned to normal, but I'm not particularly sure what happened or why.

stullier
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the late reply.  No legal holds enabled in Exchange.  And yes, we are at CHF3.  Shortly after posting this, the growth stopped.  Things have returned to normal, but I'm not particularly sure what happened or why.