Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Journal Store not shrinking

Bekir
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

We just installed an EV 9.0.1 environment for Exchange 2007 servers.

We started archiving of the Journal and half of the journal is now archived however the Exchange store is not giving up the sapce used.

Do we still have to do offline defrag as we used to? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804

Is there any convenience either by EV or Exchange infrastructure that we can use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

EV is taking mails out of exchange, not doing the maintenance.

You should perform an online defrag first. The eventviewer will show how much space has been freed (whitespace, I believe event 2221).

When the journal mailbox is close to empty, move it from that store (keep archiving!), then defrag offline, then move mailbox back.

That will keep space low.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA

EV is taking mails out of exchange, not doing the maintenance.

You should perform an online defrag first. The eventviewer will show how much space has been freed (whitespace, I believe event 2221).

When the journal mailbox is close to empty, move it from that store (keep archiving!), then defrag offline, then move mailbox back.

That will keep space low.

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Online maintenance free space event ID is 1221.

Gertjan is right though..  messages stores in Exchange do not shrink in terms of disk space without an offline defrag.

Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA

Thanks Rob for the correct event.

Regards. Gertjan

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

No problem - in a previous life I had a script that ran at 8am every day to collect the 1221 events from everyone of our 14+ Exchange 2003 servers, and send them to our team in a nice little email... so we could track over time what the free space was within each information store.

Bekir
Level 4
Partner

Thank you guys :D

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You're welcome.