cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Analyzer Disk Space Requirements

spoojari
Not applicable

Hello All,

I need to do sizing for Enterprise Vault 9.0 before I could deploy it in my Organisation.

I tried running the exchange mailbox analyzer 2.0 on my Exchange 2007 environment.

The process took a lot of time. Since I had kept Full Analysis Mode enabled, I figured it would take this much time and I kept it running overnight.

However after checking the progress the next day, I found that the application had hanged and 0 bytes space was available on the system drive of my machine.

I have 700+ mailboxes in my exchange and I had set 250 mailboxes for analysis.

Please advice if the size of data collected during running the tool is dependant on the size of mailboxe on server. If not then why did it take up all the space?

Please advice on how much space i need to keep free on my system in order to run this tool for, say, 250 mailboxes.

Kindly find the environment in which I had run EMA:

Outlook Client: Outlook 2007 32 Bit

EMA Version: 2.0.0

SQL: SQL Server 2005 Express 32 Bit

Disk Space: 20 GB 2.0 GB Available(Before running the EMA)

Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Xeon

RAM: 2 GB

Kindly note that the client machine is a VM which i had specifically created for running this tool.

I had already set the "Recieve-As" permission for my test account on all mailbox databases as mentioned in the documentation.

Exchange Server Information:

Exchange Version: Exchange 2007

Mailbox Servers: 1

Single Server for HUB/CAS role

Number of Mailbox Databases: 5

Number of mailboxes 730

Total size of Exchange Databases: 4.12 TB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

is it the log or the database that's taking up all the space? if it's the log, you could try changing the database to simple recovery mode. i also recommend you disable Full Analysis Mode.

on another note, why not go with EV10?

lastly, i strongly recommend working with a certified and specialized partner that has experience in designing and sizing EV for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB

is it the log or the database that's taking up all the space? if it's the log, you could try changing the database to simple recovery mode. i also recommend you disable Full Analysis Mode.

on another note, why not go with EV10?

lastly, i strongly recommend working with a certified and specialized partner that has experience in designing and sizing EV for you.

AndrewB

sujith_poojari
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback.

We are following up with our Symantec Represantative regarding this.

It was the logs which had accumulated taking up all the free space. We will run the tool again without Full Analyisis mode and lesser number of mailboxes.

Our organisation follows a n-1 strategy where we deploy the previous most stable version instead of the latest one to avoid new unresolved issues with the new version.

I will post here again once we successfully complete running the tool.

AndrewB

my suggestion of setting the database to simple recovery mode should help too