cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Manager Policy and EV Shortcuts in deleted items folder

bbannerman
Level 3
I have Symantec EV Ver 7 SP1 installed, exchange organization is Exchange 2003 Enterprise.
I have a default EV policy set up to archive all email older than 90 days, leaving a shortcut in the MBX. I am also archiving deleted items.
I also have an Exchange Mailbox Policy set up to delete all email in user's deleted items folder that is older than 91 days.
When the mailbox management process runs, no shortcuts are deleted from the user's mailbox.
Is this by design, or should the mailbox policy delete the shortcuts?
Also, is there any way to set up a policy on EV just to do shortcut deletion only on the deleted items folder?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If you archive a msg after 90 days and leave a shortcut, perhaps it changes the modified date of the item. This would affect the way your Exchange 2003 Mailbox Manager policy behaves. It's explained pretty well in the link to the article I posted for you. You can change the way the Mailbox Manager policy behaves to suit your requirements. This is also explained in the article. (re: msExchMailboxManagerAgeLimit)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi bbannerman,

To set the time Shortcut deletion runs that is set in the site schedule, not in the policy.  A user can only belong to one policy so  you cannot have two policies on one user.

No you cannot run Shortcut deletion on just one folder.

--wayne

AndrewB
bbannerman, in our environment we archive anything older than 30 days and use exchange's mailbox manager policy to delete anything older than 1 year. It does indeed delete the shortcuts.

Here's a good article about the behavior of Mailbox Manager in exchange.
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/08/17/215807.aspx

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
@AndrewB

It looks like he is speaking about shortcut deletion, not storage expiry. Maybe hes just mixing the two up I don't know :p

Jens_Sanft
Level 3
Certified
By default, Exchange Mailbox Manager deletes all type of elements in a mailbox. But you can exclude specific message classes in the Mailbox Manager policy.

To do so, open the properties of the MBM policy and go to the tab "Mailbox Manager Settings (Policy)". The last option on this tab is named "Exclude specific message classes". Select the button "Customize" to define any message classes that shall not be handled by MBM. The message class for EV shortcuts would be "IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.Shortcut".

bbannerman
Level 3
Ok, I want to clear up any confusion, I want to delete the shortcuts that are in the deleted items folder using Exchange MBX Mgr policy, but they are not deleting. Everything is working Ok except that the shortcuts are not deleting.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

I think there is maybe some more general confusion about how Shortcut deletion works.
Have a look here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273286.htm

There are two dates which "shortcut deletion" can be used, one is based on modified date, and one is based on archived date (default)

Modified date
When Expiry is set to modified date, a shortcuts age is determined from the date that the original email item was received.

Archived date
When Expiry is set to archived date, a shortcuts age is determined from the day that the email item was archived.

This means, in your case, if your item is archived after 90 days, it will start to count from the beginning, and waits another 90 days until shortcuts get deleted.
So you should either set it to "modified date" (Attention: Does the same for storage expiry!), or set the shortcut deletion time to 0days.
Or even better: Do not create any shortcuts when archiving the deleted items folder!

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

bbannerman
Level 3
I am not trying to delete the shortcuts using Symantec EV, that I do not have a problem with.
I am only trying to delete all mail in the deleted items folder using the Exchange Mailbox manager policy. I have an exchange policy set up and to delete all items in the deleted items folder that are older than 91 days. I can apply it to a mailbox that has not been vaulted/ archived and it works OK. When I apply it to a mailbox that has been vaulted/ archived, none of the shortcuts are deleted.

AndrewB

If you archive a msg after 90 days and leave a shortcut, perhaps it changes the modified date of the item. This would affect the way your Exchange 2003 Mailbox Manager policy behaves. It's explained pretty well in the link to the article I posted for you. You can change the way the Mailbox Manager policy behaves to suit your requirements. This is also explained in the article. (re: msExchMailboxManagerAgeLimit)

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

If you do not do it with EV ressources, then you should probably post your request in a Microsoft Exchange forum, as we're EV experts (which implies Exchange, yes... but there are more talented Exchange people out there)

I could imagine that AndrewB is correct, and that the Date changes and EMM counts from zero again when the item is archived & shortcutted.

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
I could suggest archiving deleted items with a deleted items retention category, and not return any shortcuts.  Then set delete items retention to however long you wish to retain your deleted items.

I would do something like this:
[Directory]
DirectoryComputerName= SERVERNAME
SiteName= VAULTSITE

[Filter]
Name= DeletedItems
CreateShortcut= False
DeleteOriginal= True
Unreadmail= True
UseInactivityPeriod= True
InactivityUnits= Days
InactivityPeriod= 0

[Mailbox]
DistinguishedName= all
; ldapquery = (&(department= kvs*)(name= *test*))

[Folder]
Name= Deleted Items
FilterName= DeletedItems
RetentionCategory= DeletedItems
OverrideArchiveLocks = True

I hope this helps, but that's all that can be done from an Enterprise Vault perspective.

Jens_Sanft
Level 3
Certified
If you did not exclude the EV message classes in the Mailbox Manager policy (like I described above), than I agree with Andrew that it will be the date stamp of the shortcut that prevents it from being deleted. As the shortcut is a new item, one of the 3 dates that Mailbox Manager checks will not apply to the date range defined in the Mailbox Manager policy.

Excerpt from the article Andrew linked above:

In Exchange 2000/2003 mailbox manager policies may not process items as some administrators might expect. For example, if you set up a mailbox manager policy to delete messages from the inbox after 30 days, you may find that some of the messages are not deleted after the 30 day window has passed.

In Exchange 2000/2003, in order for a message to be processed by a policy, the age of the message must pass 3 criteria:

• Delivery: (PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME),
  • Sent: (PR_CLIENT_SUBMIT_TIME),
  • and Last Modified: (PR_LAST_MODIFICATION_TIME).

If any of these flags are less than the age specified on the mailbox manager policy settings, that message will not be processed. In other words, if you have a policy set to 30 days and at 29 days a user reads a message that falls under this policy (and hence sets the last modified flag back to 0 days) the message will not be processed after the 30th day because it will fail on 1 of the 3 criteria. It will not be processed until all the criteria are met (in this scenario after 30 more days).

bbannerman
Level 3
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. it was indeed related to the modified date on the emails. We recently cached all users mailboxes, and this changes the modified date.