cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Retention plc and Archived Stubs

nwalsh
Level 4

Hello,

I am looking for some help on a question that i have been asked.

We currently have an exchange 207 envoirment and we are currently testing out Enterprise Vault 11.

My question is.. if you have a mailbox that is older than one year. you apply the archiving policy of 180 days and it archives mails that are older than 180 days as expected and you are left with the stub files. My question is if i apply an exchange retention policy on that mailbox will it delete all of the mail stubs that are older than 180 days.

Reason for my question is that i have some members in here that are here for approx 5-10 years. If i apply the archiving policy of 180 days and a few days after i apply the exchange retention policy. Will the exchange retention policy delete all emails including the stub files?

Thanks in advance.

Noel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your welcome.

You can always test with your mailbox, or that of the Exchange Engineer :)

oh, and to make sure the mailbox is fully archived, you can look at the archiving report (enterprise vault\reports\mail archiving folder), or manually run the archiving task to the one mailbox in report mode.

(rightclick task, run now, report mode, select mailbox), wait for it to finish

Excact folder for reportS:

X:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Reports\Exchange Mailbox Archiving\exchangeservername\scheduled or RunNow, then a folder with date/time. Look at the full.htm report, to see if all items are archived.

Archving large mailboxes might take a few days to catch up.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA

Hello Noel,

What is you goal? From reading your question, it sounds like you want to archive everything older than 180 days, and have no shortcuts in the mailbox for those archived items?

Your making this too complicated :) You can do this in EV itself.

From an EV perspective:

In the Mailbox Archiving policy: set it to archive everything older than 180 days.

On the Archiving Actions tab, deselect "Create shortcut to archived item after archiving"

Result: Items older than 180 days are archived, no shortcut created, item removed from mailbox.

I would (to get your users getting used to EV):

Archive everything older than 180 days.

Create shortcut, with setting 'first 1000 characters of body'. (if that does not work for your users, use message body)

On 'shortcut deletion' set 'delete shortcuts older than 6 months'

Result: Items older than 180 days are archived, leaving a shortcut in the mailbox. The shortcut is removed when it is 6 months old (after creation). this leaves the user with 1 year of email (180 days live+6 month shortcut) When you really want only live mail, convert policy to 'create no shortcut', and change shortcut deletion to 'older than 1 day'

If I misunderstood the question, please explain further. Try to describe what you want to happen, not what you configure/setup.

Thanks.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

nwalsh
Level 4

Hi Gentjan,

What im looking for is to find out. if i have an archiving policy that is working fine, it archives mails older than 180 days an leaves the stub files as expected.

My exchange engineer is looking to apply a 180 day exchange retention plc. so any live exchange emails will be deleted from there mailbox.

he asked me if he applies the exchange policy on a mailbox will it delete the stub files from that exchange account along with any active exchange mails that are older than 180 days.

Or will it only delete the exchange mails but leaving the stub files instead.

Thanks

Noel

GertjanA

Hi Noel,

I believe it is best to make sure your archiving has catched up, before performing this 'retention policy' in Exchange.

Here is the risk:

EV - Archive everything older than 180 days.

Exchange - remove everything older than 180 days.

which one comes first? Will these older items be removed before being archived? Is that desirable?

I am not too good on the Exchange retention policies, but a shortcut is basically an item in a mailbox. If the retention can be created targeting a message-class (or excluding one), you should be ok.

Target 'ipm.note' or exclude 'ipm.note.enterprisevault.shortcut'.

I personally would use EV to manage it (archive everything older than 180 days, leave shotcuts, remove shortcuts older than 6 months (or create no shortcuts at all).

Regards. Gertjan

nwalsh
Level 4

HI GertjanA,

Currently we dont have any test accounts to conduct the test to see if it works or not in terms of deleting the stub files after appling the exchange retention plc.

We plan to archive first the mailbox then approx a month later the exchange engineer would then apply the retention plc.

I have put that request back to the exchange engineer to see if it is posible or not. hopefully the answer will be yes. im not an expert on exchange myself. i just know a few bits :)

When he replys back i will update the post so you can know too.

Thanks GertjanA for the help.

Regards,

Noel

GertjanA

Your welcome.

You can always test with your mailbox, or that of the Exchange Engineer :)

oh, and to make sure the mailbox is fully archived, you can look at the archiving report (enterprise vault\reports\mail archiving folder), or manually run the archiving task to the one mailbox in report mode.

(rightclick task, run now, report mode, select mailbox), wait for it to finish

Excact folder for reportS:

X:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Reports\Exchange Mailbox Archiving\exchangeservername\scheduled or RunNow, then a folder with date/time. Look at the full.htm report, to see if all items are archived.

Archving large mailboxes might take a few days to catch up.

Regards. Gertjan

nwalsh
Level 4

Thanks GertjanA.

yes i will wait untill all mails are archived before i apply the exchange retention plc.

Thanks.

Noel