cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Store not shrinking

ggunzelman
Level 0
Partner
I run EV 7.0 for Exchange. I archived 100GB of a 200Gb store and then did a backups of SQL and Exchange. I expected the store size to shrink. It has not. Am I missing something?
7 REPLIES 7

Maverik
Level 6
:Quite a common mistake to make.  Forget EV the same thing would happen if you went in and deleted half the email in your organization and looked at your Exchange Stores they would not reduce.  This is an Exchange thing. In order to reduce the size believe you have to do an offlien defrag as per the MS article blow. Note the following line taken from the article.

Although online defragmentation provides some additional database space, you must defragment the Exchange database offline to reduce the physical size of the Exchange database.

Good Luck
Smiley Happy

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Dito

Good reference!

Jim S.

Brian_Day
Level 6
If you check your event logs after the online maintenance runs it'll tell you how much white space there is to reclaim with an offline defrag.

Tobbe
Level 5
As Brian wrote - Look for the 1221 events in the appl log that will report the amount of whitespace within the databases.
You will have at least one entry per database and day depending on the schedule, how long your online maintenance window is, and if the defrag is able to complete during that window.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
You are referring to online defrag not offline, correct? As online will not make the store smaller and offline will decrease the size of the store.

Jim S.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi there

Were those suggestion successful?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@jimbo2 wrote:
You are referring to online defrag not offline, correct? As online will not make the store smaller and offline will decrease the size of the store.

Jim S.

Correct, but the online defrag report basically tells you if it is worth doing an offline defrag or not.