cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange System Mailbox( EV Prerequisites)

akther
Level 4
Hello All

We have a plan to install EV 8.0 in WIndows 2008 Server 64 bit machine. We have Exchange 2007 server setup. I need some one help to understand what does it mean Exchange System Mailbox as pre-requisites of EV? Is it a normal user mail box in Exchange ?

We have completed all other pre-requisits to install EV on windows 2008.

Regards
Akther
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gonz
Level 5
Employee
There are two different and important concepts when setting up Enterprise Vault for Exchange archiving.

One it is the Enterprise Vault System Mailbox and the other one it it the Enterprise Vault System Account

When Enterprise Vault it is setup to archive an Exchange Server, it first stablishes a connection against that server using a mailbox as a hook.

That mailbox it is called the Enterprise Vault System Mailbox and it is a normal mailbox with the following restrictions:

1) It is a mailbox that it is not used for anything else as Enterprise Vault Task requires exclusive use of this mailbox

2) It is not hidden from the mailbox

3) The account it is nod disabled

Apart from that there is the concept of the Enterprise Vault System Account, that it is the account that runs the Enterprise Vault Services and it is the account that need Send As and Receive As in all the mailboxes.

The Enterprise Vault System Account needs to be setup as it is explained in this technote:http://support.veritas.com/docs/288150

Please let me know if you require anything else.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

M_Abdelaleem
Level 3
Partner
Hello Akther
yes it's normal user mailbox have send as and receive as permission after you installing the EV you must run the configuration wizard it will as you about this account. you can find the steps in the installation guide.

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
You must also grant the Vault Service account Send as permissions on the System Mailbox. Check page 53 in the Install Config Guide.

akther
Level 4
Thanks for the reply. As per my understanding we need to create a service account for EV and give mailbox for this service account before installing EV.

We have 2 mailbox server's ( Exchange CCR setup) . Usually if we create a user with mailbox in Exchange server send as and receive as permission will be there automatically. ( As per my understanding send as and receive as permission required if we want to send a mail on behalf of another user or common mailbox). please clarify if i am wrong

Gonz
Level 5
Employee
There are two different and important concepts when setting up Enterprise Vault for Exchange archiving.

One it is the Enterprise Vault System Mailbox and the other one it it the Enterprise Vault System Account

When Enterprise Vault it is setup to archive an Exchange Server, it first stablishes a connection against that server using a mailbox as a hook.

That mailbox it is called the Enterprise Vault System Mailbox and it is a normal mailbox with the following restrictions:

1) It is a mailbox that it is not used for anything else as Enterprise Vault Task requires exclusive use of this mailbox

2) It is not hidden from the mailbox

3) The account it is nod disabled

Apart from that there is the concept of the Enterprise Vault System Account, that it is the account that runs the Enterprise Vault Services and it is the account that need Send As and Receive As in all the mailboxes.

The Enterprise Vault System Account needs to be setup as it is explained in this technote:http://support.veritas.com/docs/288150

Please let me know if you require anything else.

akther
Level 4

Ok. Now i can understand the below points.

1) I can create a normal user account for Exchange System mailbox and it will use only for this purpose. ( No need send as and receive as permission to all the mail boxes)

2) I can create a service account for EV services and i can give send as and receive as in all the mail boxes in Exchange server.

Gonz
Level 5
Employee
1) Yes, the normal account it is only used as "a hook" to the Exchange server we are going to archive.

2) The account running Enterprise Vault Services needs "Send As" and "Reveice As" permissions in all the Exchange Servers with mailbox rol, as explained in
http://support.veritas.com/docs/288150

Do not forget to mark this as a solution if resolves your problem.

Kind regards.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
couple of minor things, the system mailbox needs to exist on each Exchange server you are targeting, you can't target ExchServerA with the mailbox on ExchServerB, so if you have 10 exchange servers, you need 10 sys mailboxes.

oh and the system mailbox user account can be disabled as this does not disable access to the mailbox, ev will still be able to connect to ti
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Gonz
Level 5
Employee
I agree with the firs argument of JesusWept2, this is each Exchange server needs a separate account.

Do not agree with the second.

Check "Installing and Configuring.pdf", page 62

You must create a system mailbox on each Exchange Server that you want
Enterprise Vault to archive.
Note the following restrictions:

The Enterprise Vault tasks require exclusive use of this mailbox, so the mailbox
must not be used for any other purpose

The mailbox must not be hidden from address lists.

The account must not be disabled

Please, let´s follow the documentation.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
account and mailbox are seperate entities, if EVAdmin has access to EVSysMailbox, and EVSysMailbox (the user) is disabled, it will still work, try it
its the same type of thing when you have resource domains when you have users and mailboxes are on seperate domains
so you have DOMAINA\UserA (user and no mailbox) and DOMAINB\UserA (user and mailbox, and user is disabled) and the mailbox has given permissions to DOMAIN\UserA to have full control, it can still access it
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

akther
Level 4
Thanks for the reply. In our envirnement we have 4 Exchange 2007 server.

2 Mailbox server ( CCR setup. one active and another passive)

1 Hub& Cas Server

1 Edge Transport Server.

I hope i need to create only one System mailbox in Active cluster node. Or do i need to create 4 system mail box in each Exchange server node?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Akther,

We will have 15 CCR clusters eventually.

As you will not be archiving the edge and cas/hub server (as they host no mailboxes), you do not need a EV systemmailbox there.

As far as CCR goes:
You have physical node A and B (active and passive)
You have 1 Exchange server (let's call that C) running on A. If A fails, C will failover to B, and due to the log-shipping, continue to work.
Hence, although you have 2 nodes, you will only have 1 exchange-server. Hence, you only need 1 EV-systemmailbox.

In EV you target the ExchangeServer to archive, not the nodes. As you have only 1 exchangeserver, EV only archives from 1 exchangeserver. As far as EV is concerned, if C runs on A or on B, does not matter.

Hope this is clear.
Regards. Gertjan

akther
Level 4
Thanks Gertajan,Jesuswep2 and Gonz. Now it's clear and i got the concept of ev system mailbox and service account concept

Gonz
Level 5
Employee
Please mark as solved.