cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange System Management Version Failed.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 hi,
when configuring a new evserver ,deployment scanner gives this error.(in attached)
evserver needs ESM? because exchange server has ESM also.

Please refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/278028 and the online Certification tables: http://support.veritas.com/docs/276547

ev server:win 2003 sp2 ev 2007
exch server: exch 2003 sp2

thanks...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
As stated, he is trying to install on 2007 SP2, this was only introduce in 2007SP3 [Ref 703039, E1096055]

Exchange System Manager is no longer a prerequisite on Enterprise Vault server

In Enterprise Vault 7.0 original release, SP1, and SP2, Microsoft Exchange System Manager (ESM) was a prerequisite for installation of the Enterprise Vault server software.

In Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3, it is possible to run an Exchange mailbox archiving task or Journaling task without installing ESM on the Enterprise Vault server. The Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 server installation procedure does not display a warning if ESM, or the correct version of ESM, is not detected.

Notes:
  • The ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives requires ESM to be installed on the Enterprise Vault server. Now that ESM is not a prerequisite, note the following:
    * If ESM is installed on an Enterprise Vault server running 32-bit Windows Server 2003, you can still synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives.
    * Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 prevents Exchange Server 2003 ESM from installing, so you cannot synchronize inherited permissions if the Enterprise Vault server uses this operating system.
  • Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 still includes the ability to synchronize delegate permissions; that is, permissions set through Active Directory users and computers, or through Outlook folder permissions.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 you need to give more info than just a heading

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Enterprise Vault does not require ESM to be installed on the same server, however you will not get per user information if you don't.  If you don't require that, you don't need ESM installed, if you do then you will need ESM installed on the same/s server as the Enterprise Vault binaries are installed.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
so you sugesst to continue on EV installation with this error? 

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
nope,

I might be going blind, or it just might be your messy desktop ;) but I cannot see the error on any of the screen-shots you sent.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 i just take deployment scanner output,i'm still dont passed to the ev installation.
i attached 2 picture,you can see the failed job on DP.
thanks...

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Is it possible that you uploaded the wrong screenshot?
I wasn't able to locate a Deployment Scanner output, either....

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Personally I would just remove ESM altogether and not worry with it as it is not a pre-req any longer.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
so i will pass to the ev installation with this error(picture 11). 

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hold on, what version of Enterprise Vault are you trying to install?

MichelZ
Level 6
ev server:win 2003 sp2 ev 2007

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
previous installation ev server dont need ESM.
i have  alot of customer on ev 2007,i give support to them:) for that reason 2007 is better.
i have also ev8 sever.

But in evserver when esm installing it also requeres exchange mahagement inst.
i give this error firstly  i dont remember this error occurs my previous installation.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
As stated, he is trying to install on 2007 SP2, this was only introduce in 2007SP3 [Ref 703039, E1096055]

Exchange System Manager is no longer a prerequisite on Enterprise Vault server

In Enterprise Vault 7.0 original release, SP1, and SP2, Microsoft Exchange System Manager (ESM) was a prerequisite for installation of the Enterprise Vault server software.

In Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3, it is possible to run an Exchange mailbox archiving task or Journaling task without installing ESM on the Enterprise Vault server. The Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 server installation procedure does not display a warning if ESM, or the correct version of ESM, is not detected.

Notes:
  • The ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives requires ESM to be installed on the Enterprise Vault server. Now that ESM is not a prerequisite, note the following:
    * If ESM is installed on an Enterprise Vault server running 32-bit Windows Server 2003, you can still synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives.
    * Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 prevents Exchange Server 2003 ESM from installing, so you cannot synchronize inherited permissions if the Enterprise Vault server uses this operating system.
  • Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 still includes the ability to synchronize delegate permissions; that is, permissions set through Active Directory users and computers, or through Outlook folder permissions.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Well then NO, you need ESM installd. Enterprise Vault 2007 SP2 requires ESM. Enterprise Vault 8 does not require it.

Why are you installing 2007?

--wayne

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 firstly i removed the dep. scanner
first binary is ev 2007 
i installed ev 2007 sp3 binary dep. scan.
and it gives no error:)
it gives just information.(attached photo 22)

Exchange System Management Version;

Exchange/ESM is not installed

Exchange Server Version
Back To Top Passed
All Exchange Server Versions are supported by Enterprise Vault.

The version of Exchange on kamilexch.ev.local is supported by Enterprise Vault

BitBucket
Level 4

Are there any benefits or increased functionality if I install Exchange System Manager 2007 on my EV 8.0 server?

My EV 8.0 server is running Windows Server 2003 x64.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
BitBucket,

Did you read my note? *g*

Read two posts about where you asked this question....

BitBucket
Level 4
In your previous post, you only mentioned EV 7.0 SP3.  Nothing was said about 7.5 or 8.0, or whether installing the Exchange System Manager has any benefit in those versions.  I was specifically wondering about the Exchange 2007 System Manager running on Windows 2003 x64 with EV 8.0.  Does the System Manager provide ANY function at all or is it now completely not needed in EV versions beyond 7.0 SP2, even though the prerequisite scanner still includes it?

Also the note from the manual which states the Exchange System Manager cannot be installed on Windows Server 2003 x64 is not entirely correct.  I'm assuming we're talking about the 2003 version of ESM and by default, it won't let you install it, but there are workarounds.  I currently have ESM 2003 installed on my Win 2003 x64 server and it works.

I was going to uninstall it and replace it with ESM 2007, but I need to know if it's worth the trouble.  Should I just uninstall ESM 2003 and forget about ESM 2007?  If it's really not needed anymore then I don't want to install it.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Personally, I would uninstall it and forget about it.  As mentioned previously, it is ONLY need to synch Inherited Permissions so hardly worth the trouble.

My opinion anyhow.  :)

BitBucket
Level 4
Yeah, I think uninstalling it would be best.

Thanks Wayne and Tony for your input.