cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Tasks Hanging

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a Vault issue or Exchange. I will also need to "Prove" it is NOT vault since everyone is blaming Vault since that is the only known thing that changed.

When Hitting Send & Receive ibn Outlook 2007, i have a task that hangs when processing. Is this an issue in Vault?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Why would you need to prove its not EV?
End of the day, the only way to get that information is Exchange and the client itself.
If they can show that the EVAdmin is producing a large amount of network traffic at that time or exploding the exchange logs or exhausting the RPC connections, they yeah you may have an issue.

But all you can do is just show them that you're not really going above 32 MAPI connections per EV Server. and if 32 connections per server is killing Exchange then they have much bigger problems.

The client doesn't do much with exchange, it just reads the hidden message which is in the OST, most other usage is sent to the EV Server and if an item needs to be archived, it then modifies and collects the information there.

You could run perfmons on the EV server to look at the queue and the outlook connections I suppose.

Also is this consistent or does it happen at a time when something like the Tasks Synchronization is running?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6

Why would you need to prove its not EV?
End of the day, the only way to get that information is Exchange and the client itself.
If they can show that the EVAdmin is producing a large amount of network traffic at that time or exploding the exchange logs or exhausting the RPC connections, they yeah you may have an issue.

But all you can do is just show them that you're not really going above 32 MAPI connections per EV Server. and if 32 connections per server is killing Exchange then they have much bigger problems.

The client doesn't do much with exchange, it just reads the hidden message which is in the OST, most other usage is sent to the EV Server and if an item needs to be archived, it then modifies and collects the information there.

You could run perfmons on the EV server to look at the queue and the outlook connections I suppose.

Also is this consistent or does it happen at a time when something like the Tasks Synchronization is running?

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Well, as with any new product, it is the first to be blamed so this is why I need to "prove" it is not EV. I do not know why EV will produce ANY traffic since all m,y jobs run after hours.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

You also said that "all you can do is just show them that you're not really going above 32 MAPI connections per EV Serve" How do I see this?

JesusWept3
Level 6
It's not up to you to do anything Unless they're going to give you free reign on the exchange servers, there's nothing you can do Each task that runs has by default 5 MAPI connections that can be run simultaneously, you can increase it or decrease it, but connections will be made for ad hoc requests such as restore and store in vault and PST migrations Things such as vault cache syncs, downloading from shortcuts, using archive explorer or search do not make any MAPI calls in to exchange The synchronization of the users mailbox which is most likely scheduled twice in one day will make a hit on exchange but you're talking five connections at a time to say exch server writing one message

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Ok, found the issue. It was a CAS issue.