cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude ONLY INBOX folder from archiving - EV7.5

Mary_Glenn
Level 2
Hello,

How can I exclude only the Inbox folder (NOT SUBFOLDERS) from being archived using EVPM?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I think the easiest way to meet the requirement would be if your end user was willing to move the folder structure from under the inbox to another folder on the mailbox root.  So instead of the folders under the inbox they could be under a Folder called My Files or something meaningful to them.

Then you could use EVPM and disable the inbox and the other folders would still archive.

Of course you need a willing end user.  ;)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How to exclude certain folders from archiving using Enterprise Vault Policy Manager

Details:
Using the Symantec Enterprise Vault (tm) Policy Manager (EVPM) tool, Vault administrators can exclude a specific folder from archiving. The script can be run against all or selected users' mailboxes. EVPM can also be used to apply specific archiving properties against a folder.

To exclude archiving for a folder in Outlook, the script must contain the following sections (Figure 1):
[Directory] - DirectoryComputerName, SiteName
[Mailbox] - DistinguishedName
[Folder] - FolderName, FilterName, OverRideArchiveLocks

Figure 1

Use FilterName=DoNotArchive to set a "do not archive" value against the folder to which the filter is applied. In the example above, this is the Sent Items.

For more information on EVPM, please select Help on Enterprise Vault from the Vault Administration Console and navigate to the Policy Manager section.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I don't think what Andra suggests will work, since you don't want to archive the inbox but you do want to archive subfolders of the inbox.  Unless you know the specific names of the subfolders (so you can put a policy on them) then I don't think you can do this.

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Oops, sorry about that... I read it a bit too quickly and missed the "not subfolders" part

And Dodo is right - The only way this can be done (as far as I am aware) is by using EVPM to set archiving policies at the inbox subfolder level– but to be able to do this we need to know the folder structure, because we can’t use wildcards in EVPM (such as \inbox\*)

Message Edited by andra christie on 12-17-2007 03:59 PM

Message Edited by andra christie on 12-17-2007 03:59 PM

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I think the easiest way to meet the requirement would be if your end user was willing to move the folder structure from under the inbox to another folder on the mailbox root.  So instead of the folders under the inbox they could be under a Folder called My Files or something meaningful to them.

Then you could use EVPM and disable the inbox and the other folders would still archive.

Of course you need a willing end user.  ;)

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
I agree with Tony. Move the structure and you can even start at the root of the mailbox folder and give a friendly name like EV Archives.

Jim S.