Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ExcludedFileTypesFromConversion settings reverted to default

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I'm experiencing the following issue on a brand new client deployment

ExcludedFileTypesFromConversion are reverting to default. I'm aware that this is normal behaviour if I remove ANY of the default values, as per the technote below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO58201

"When you remove some file types using ExcludedFileTypesFromConversion, they are automatically replaced upon restarting the storage service"

However, I'm not removing any of the default values, but ADDING some, namely

.ZIP.PDF.7z.M4A.BAK.COM.RAR.

so the whole registry key looks like

.ABS.AIF.AIFC.AIFF.ASC.ASF.ASX.AU.AVI.BIN.BMP.BP.C2D.CBT.CCD.CD.CDI.CHM.CIF.CUR.DAT.DAO.

DVS.DWI.ENC.ENT.EVT.FCD.FDM.FP.GCD.GI.GIF.GTS.HLP.ICO.IMG.ISO.JFI.JFIF.JIF.JPE.JPEG.JPG.JTF

.JP2.JPX.JPF.MJ2.M1V.M2V.M3U.MDF.MDS.MID.MKV.MMM.MOD.MODV.MOO.MOOV.MOV.MP2.MP3.MP4.

MPA.MPE.MPEG.MPEGA.MPEGV.MPG.MPM.MPP.MPV.MSO.NRG.OLE.PAB.PDI.PF.PGP.PJPEG.PLS.PNG

.POI.PST.PUB.PXI.QT.QTM.QTW.RA.RAM.RAW.RM.RMI.RMJ.RMX.RP.RV.SND.SNP.SWA.SWF.TAO.TIF.TIFF.

VDO.VIV.VSF.WAV.WMA.WMV.Z01.Z02.Z03.Z04.Z05.Z06.Z07.Z08.Z09.Z10.ZIP.PDF.7z.M4A.BAK.COM.RAR.

Storage Services is restarted after applying the values, however, and for some reason, it reverts back to default

.ABS.AIF.AIFC.AIFF.ASC.ASF.ASX.AU.AVI.BIN.BMP.BP.C2D.CBT.CCD.CD.CDI.CHM.CIF.CUR.DAT.DAO.

DVS.DWI.ENC.ENT.EVT.FCD.FDM.FP.GCD.GI.GIF.GTS.HLP.ICO.IMG.ISO.JFI.JFIF.JIF.JPE.JPEG.JPG.JTF

.JP2.JPX.JPF.MJ2.M1V.M2V.M3U.MDF.MDS.MID.MKV.MMM.MOD.MODV.MOO.MOOV.MOV.MP2.MP3.MP4.

MPA.MPE.MPEG.MPEGA.MPEGV.MPG.MPM.MPP.MPV.MSO.NRG.OLE.PAB.PDI.PF.PGP.PJPEG.PLS.PNG

.POI.PST.PUB.PXI.QT.QTM.QTW.RA.RAM.RAW.RM.RMI.RMJ.RMX.RP.RV.SND.SNP.SWA.SWF.TAO.TIF.TIFF.

VDO.VIV.VSF.WAV.WMA.WMV.Z01.Z02.Z03.Z04.Z05.Z06.Z07.Z08.Z09.Z10.

No services are being restarted that might cause the return to default settings. Also, we have been unable to pinpoint when the value is being changed back. This is the ONLY registry setting being affected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have escalated this to Symantec through our partner channel. I'll update this post with any information we receive.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Good analysis by the way :)

Working for cloudficient.com

Kamil_Tatar
Level 3

Hi Anders,

Any news from support ?

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Nothing yet, I'll follow up again now that the silly season is gone.

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Quick update. Symantec support has confirmed that this issue affects 10.0.4 only (we knew that already), and has been escalated to backline engineers From support
"Hi Andres

Looks like I can re-pro this issue on 10.0.4. I works fine in SP1,2 & 3. But not SP4.

I will escalate this to our Backline Engineers.

I'll let you know when it's been formally escalated.
"

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Quick update. Backline support has confirmed the issue on 10.0.4... but we knew that already ;)

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi all,

I am said backline engineer and you got to the same ballpark so good work there smiley.

This is actually resident in any version of EV but just happens to be hit earlier in EV 10.0.4. due to additional extensions being added to the list in that version. I have just published the technical article which outlines the issue fuller and the workaround I gave Andres along with the fact that we will be addressing this in a future version of the product.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH214026

Regards.....Paul.

AndresMunoz
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Paul!, you just beat me to it :)

I have just finished testing the workaround provided yesterday and can confirm this works.

Thanks a lot for your assistance with this.

Cheers

Andres

Kamil_Tatar
Level 3

Thanks for information.

Kamil_Tatar
Level 3

Hi,

Yes it is working, thank you Paul.

Regards,

Kamil