cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding certain attachment types in Exchange archiving

Robert_Ton
Level 5
Is it possible to do this? I thought I had seen it in the GUI before, but I don't see any references to it in the admin console or the help.

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I have configured both journaling and mailbox archiving to strip attachments like mp3, wav, etc from being archived. It takes a bit to get it right, but using the examples given you can do. If you have the budget you can engage consulting and we can create it for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Unless a recent update added this functionality and I missed it, no it isn't possible. Most likely what you saw was the ability to control which message classes are archived, but that's the whole message, not the attachments.

Find that part of the GUI by opening the admin tool, right clicking on the "Directory on (servername)" and open up the properties. Go to the Advanced tab and there you are. Is that what you saw?

TonySterling
I believe you can with custom filtering. I believe there is info about it in the install and configure guide for sp2.

Cheers,

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
what exactly do you want.

Do you mean if an email has a Mp3 attachment then do not archive the item
or do you mean if it has an mp3 attachment remove the mp3 attachment and then archive the email?

Lee_Allison
Level 6
> I believe you can with custom filtering. I believe
> there is info about it in the install and configure
> guide for sp2.
>
> Cheers,

Yup, search in Installing and Configuring for "attachment attribute filters". Looks like you can setup a rule for custom filtering based on several attributes for the attachments.

Robert_Ton
Level 5
Say we have a proprietary extension called .tst. All files of type .tst are incredibly small, and thus vaulting them and replacing them with a shortcut does more harm than good. Our policy archives attachments only, and in this case, we simply would not vault and replace any files of type .tst.

I found the section in the Installation & Configuration guide, and at first glance, it appears to be pretty involved. I wonder if anyone in the forum has tried anything like this and how successful they were.

Thanks for the guidance so far!

TonySterling
I have configured both journaling and mailbox archiving to strip attachments like mp3, wav, etc from being archived. It takes a bit to get it right, but using the examples given you can do. If you have the budget you can engage consulting and we can create it for you.